Crispy chicken tenders coated in shredded mozzarella cheese and finely chopped pepperoni are so flavorful. Serve them with pizza sauce!
Apparently I’m on a chicken tender kick. They are so fun and easy to customize. It is a toss up which flavor I like better, these pizza chicken tenders or my taco chicken tenders. And I love making chicken nuggets in my air fryer! They turn out super crispy.
The chicken tender recipes could have something to do with having a two year old. She loves anything that she can eat with her fingers, and even better, something she can dip into hummus, salsa, mustard, ketchup, or in this case, pizza sauce.
Like the rest of us, anything related to pizza is definitely on her good list.
I typically buy boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them up into tender-sized pieces. You can buy the pre-cut chicken tenders, but I normally stock up on boneless skinless breasts when they are on sale. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are about half the price of chicken tenders so I feel like that is a more budget-friendly option. If you cut your own tenders like I do, don’t worry if they aren’t all perfectly shaped.
The crispy coating is easy. It’s a three step process. Dip the chicken pieces in seasoned flour , then eggs, and then a crunchy pizza topping composed of panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, pepperoni and Italian seasoning.
The nice thing about pizza chicken tenders is that you get the taste of pizza but with lots of lean protein and far less cheese. Don’t get me wrong, we won’t stop eating pizza any time soon, but chicken tenders are good for some variety. Oh, and did I mention that they are baked, not fried?
Enjoy with pizza sauce for dipping!
Like chicken tenders? You may like these Caesar chicken tenders, too.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into equal sized strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoni (half of a 3.15 ounce package)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup pizza sauce for dipping, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a large sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with a Silpat baking sheet.
- Place flour and half of Italian seasoning in a large shallow bowl. Place beaten eggs in another shallow bowl, and bread crumbs, remaining Italian seasoning, pepperoni and mozzarella in a third bowl.
- Coat each chicken strip in flour mixture, then dip in eggs (let excess drip off), and then finally in bread crumb mixture. Place chicken strip on prepared tray and repeat until all chicken strips are coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Enjoy hot with pizza sauce for dipping.
- If you prefer, use pre-cut chicken tenders.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 259mgSodium: 900mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 69g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: Loves these! He loves chicken and pizza so this is no surprise.
Changes I would make: None.