Quinoa Power Pancakes
Quinoa power pancakes are a great way to start your day – this filling and healthy breakfast will keep you satisfied all day.
It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of quinoa. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it is completely a “fad” food, but I think it is one that will stick around for a while. And I have absolutely zero issues chowing down on a fad food, especially when it is good for me and tastes great.
This isn’t the first time I have made quinoa pancakes (or even a savory version), but for this recipe, I upped the ante a bit. I use whole wheat flour and add cinnamon, wheat bran, and ground flax. That’s why I call them quinoa power pancakes. The extra nutrition and fiber will keep you full and satisfied for hours.
Needed for this recipe:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax-seed (flax meal)
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, ground flax-seed, wheat bran, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, oil, milk, and syrup until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine. Do not overmix. If mixture seems too thick, add a little more milk.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or non-stick spray and heat over medium-high heat. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls or using a 1/4 cup measuring cup onto skillet.
- Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup or your favorite pancake topping. I love topping them with applesauce and a little more cinnamon.
- I usually double or triple the batch and freeze a bunch of these. They heat up really well in the toaster or toaster oven for a quick breakfast.
- Serving size: 2 pancakes.
Verdict: Delicious! They are a bit more hearty than the original version. Fantastic topped with applesauce!
Husband’s take: He LOVES when I make and freeze these. They are fantastic for him when he’s rushing off to work in the morning. My daughter loves them as well, I think she would eat them for three meals a day if I would let her.
Changes I would make: None!