You might have heard, I sort of have a thing for popcorn. I kind of love it. I grew up eating popcorn every Sunday night with my family. It was a tradition that I have carried happily on into adulthood.
Occasionally I have it other nights in addition to Sunday. (Just to be clear, occasionally = always.) I prefer it air-popped with a
healthy unhealthy amount of butter and salt. Now, even as much as I love popcorn, I have surprisingly few popcorn recipes on my site. When my amazing friends threw me a virtual baby shower, a few people came through with awesome popcorn recipes, knowing my love of the stuff. This made me realize that I don’t have too many popcorn recipes on my blog. Only two, in fact: Kahlua and Espresso Bean Caramel Corn and Rum Spiked Caramel Corn (umm…can we ignore the fact that those both have alcohol in them?) The lack of popcorn recipes must be remedied! Maybe I should have a popcorn month! Just kidding. I think.
This popcorn is crunchy, sweet, pepperminty and perfect for the holidays. It makes a ton so it would be great for a party! Enjoy!
Peppermint Crunch Popcorn
This popcorn is crunchy, sweet, pepperminty and perfect for the Holidays.
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels, popped (or about 16 cups popped popcorn)
- 16 ounce package white chocolate candy melts
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 10 regular-sized candy canes, unwrapped
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used holiday colored chocolate chips)
- Place candy canes in a large zip-top bag and crush using a rolling-pin or meat tenderizer. Make sure the pieces are quite small, but they don’t have to be uniform. In a very large bowl or a foil roasting pan (I prefer the roasting pan), add popped popcorn (try to pick out the kernels and partially popped kernels), crushed candy canes, and chocolate chips.
- Melt candy melts according to package directions. Stir in peppermint extract. Pour melted candy melts over popcorn mixture and stir well so that everything is coated. Spread on two large baking sheets until hardened. Store in airtight container.
Verdict: Really good! I love the sweetness, the touch of peppermint and the crunch of the candy canes.
Husband’s take: “Wow.”
Changes I would make: None.