In the midst of turkeys, sweet potatoes, and PIE, it might be easy to forget about breakfast. Don’t forget about breakfast! It does the body good. Especially a filling, nutritious, whole-grain breakfast like this one. Plus, it is easy to make and will impress any overnight guests that might be crashing at your house.
Is it sad that I can’t even remember what I had for breakfast on Thanksgiving when I was growing up? Don’t get me wrong, I had a perfect childhood. I remember lots of amazing Thanksgiving dinners. I just can’t remember Thanksgiving breakfast. Give your family something to remember! Start a new tradition! Make these Baked Apple French Toast Cups and prepare for people to be impressed.
When I was trying to come up with a great Thanksgiving recipe, I didn’t want to be boring and do stuffing. Not that stuffing is boring–it actually is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. But I wanted to mix things up a little.
Baked Apple French Toast Cups
Baked apple french toast cups are an easy breakfast that everyone will love.
- 12 slices Multi-Grain Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 2 Fuji apples (or another firm apple), diced small–approximately 2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut crust off of bread. Spray 12 muffin tins generously with non-stick baking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Dip slices of bread in this mixture until saturated, letting an excess drip off. Fit each slice of bread into a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together diced apple, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar until combined. Fill wells of bread with this mixture. Pile it up as it will bake down a bit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until completely cooked and starting to brown around the edges. Run knife around each cup to loosen and remove. Serve warm. Syrup optional!