Lemon, Ginger & Strawberry Pancake Skewers
Strawberry pancake skewers, with mini lemon ginger flavored pancakes and sliced strawberries, make a fun breakfast or brunch entree!
Okay, this pancake party is winding down. But we have a couple of fantastic recipes left, including this one from Dara. Please tell me you already know of Dara and her beautiful blog, Cookin’ Canuck. If not, check it out asap! You’ll find tons of great recipes (with gorgeous photograph) to fuel a healthy lifestyle.
Pancakes for breakfast, pancakes for brunch, pancakes for dinner. Heck, even pancakes for dessert. Our love of pancakes extends to every meal and across many cultures. That’s why I gave a very enthusiastic “Yes!” when Rachel asked me to be a part of her month-long pancake party. That’s a whole lot of flippin’ flapjacks!
Around my house, we try to eat pretty healthily to fuel my husband and my running efforts, and to give our boys plenty of energy for the day. Apparently that’s working pretty well because they can run circles around me…all day long. I mean, ALL DAY LONG.
One of the ways that we like to keep things healthy is by working whole grains into our diets at every possible turn. For these pancakes, I used our favorite whole wheat pancake recipe and doctored them up with lemon zest and ground ginger to give them the ethereal fresh scent and taste that epitomizes summertime.
Now, these are not your “fill the entire plate”-sized pancakes. You want to make them itty-bitty so that they play nicely with the strawberry slices and stack into a pretty tower. To make life easy, use a tablespoon measure and small spatula or a small cookie scoop to dole out the batter into the pan.
Of course, if you’re all about the flavor (and who could blame you?) and couldn’t care less about the skewer idea, just grab a ladle, dollop the batter into the pan and serve the finished pancakes with a side of sliced strawberries. Works for me.
Top these babies off with some warm maple syrup and dig in.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons (packed) lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups skim milk (or more if batter is too thick)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey or agave nectar)
- 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- Pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the flour, baking powder, ground flax seed, ground ginger, lemon zest and salt. Stir to combine. Add the skim milk and maple syrup, and stir until just combined.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat or heat an electric griddle to 375° F. Using a 1 tablespoon measure or a small cookie scoop, dollop the batter into the pan. When the pancakes start to bubble around the edges, flip them and cook until the batter is cooked through completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For each skewer, stack 3 pancakes and 2 strawberry slices. Serve with warm maple syrup.
- If you prefer, make regular size pancakes and serve strawberries on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 skewer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
I love these, Dara! They would be so fun for a brunch. Thanks for coming to the pancake party!
Remember to follow along with all the pancakes this month, just click on the picture below.