Whole Wheat Pasta with Bacon, Mushrooms, Onion
All sorts of good stuff is packed into this hearty pasta with bacon and mushrooms, spinach and red onions. A great weeknight meal but guests will love it, too.
Do I have your attention?
This is a simple, easy to throw together meal for any day of the week. It’s easy enough for every day but just fancy enough for guests as well.
Another great thing about this pasta dish is that you can customize it depending on what you have in the house. Just make sure you have bacon. Or pancetta. Yum!
Make sure you reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta. The starchy water is perfect for making a nice sauce for your pasta, along with the Parmesan cheese and white wine.
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into slices
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced or halved
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta--look for something on the short side
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat for pasta. Cook pasta as directed. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water before draining the pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Remove all but about 1 tablespoon of grease from the pan.
- Raise heat to medium-high. To pan, add onions and salt/pepper to taste and cook until onions begin to soften (about 4 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are browned and onions are transparent (about 3 minutes longer). Add wine, stir, and add spinach on top, cover for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach has wilted.
- Add drained pasta to the skillet with the vegetables. Add bacon. Stir, and add pasta water as needed to create a nice sauce--about 1/2 cup to 1 cup.
- Remove pan from heat, and add parsley and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine evenly. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with additional cheese!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 512mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: He loves this. I mean…loves it. I’m a little surprised because I was thinking that there wouldn’t be enough meat, but he can not get enough of this stuff.
Changes I would make: None.
Difficulty: Easy. Have everything prepped before beginning: bacon cut, onions sliced, mushrooms washed and sliced, etc. You get the point. I even measured my wine so it was ready to pour in!
PS: How cute are these mushrooms? Let me tell you though–they got less and less cute as I was cleaning what seemed like a million of them! Don’t be lured in by their cuteness, normal-sized mushrooms taste exactly the same.