Emeril’s One Pot Cooking Party: Slow Cooker Mushroom and Fall Squash Barley Risotto + GIVEAWAY
UPDATE: Giveaway has ended. The winner is Cassie @ Bake Your Day. Congrats!
Wow, that is another LONG title. I better have another giveaway since you had to read all that. It only seems fair. But we’ll talk about that in a minute. First let’s talk about this risotto. This is the sixth recipe out of Emeril’s cookbook that I’ve prepared. I’ve also made Tuscan White Bean Soup, True Bolognese, BLT Risotto, Pasta e Fagiole, and Stir-Fried Pork Salad.
I chose this recipe because:
- You use a slow cooker. I figured the recipe must be at least semi-easy to prepare.
- I thought the hearty barley and the squash would be perfect for the fall-like weather we’re having. I’m still in denial, I’m not going to call it “fall.” We’re going to stick with “fall-like” weather.
- I love mushrooms.
- I thought hubs wasn’t going to be home for dinner so I would be safe with a vegetarian dinner. Found out he was going to be, so I pulled out some leftover pulled pork from the freezer. Problem solved.
- The recipe calls for fresh sage. I love, love, love the smell of fresh sage.
- Throw it (whole) in the microwave for about a minute. This softens the skin a bit and makes it easier to slice.
- Cut it in half, then remove the seeds. I like to use a grapefruit spoon for this step.
- Cut it into segments, and peel each one individually with a vegetable peeler. Try not to get your fingers or your fingernails.
- Then dice! Try not to wake your baby up when the knife hits the cutting board. (I failed at this step.)
Verdict: This was delicious! I loved how the squash just melted into the risotto. It made it so creamy and scrumptious–just like risotto made with rice.
Husband’s take: He liked it a lot. I wasn’t sure that he would, but he did. Of course, for him it was a side dish.
1-year-old daughter’s take: Chowed. It. Down.
Changes I would make: Next time I think I will use butternut squash. Only because it is easier to peel…and I’m lazy.
Difficulty: Easy, once you’re done battling the squash. Just kidding–that part isn’t really that difficult either.
On to the giveaway!
Here’s the Details: -Giveaway includes one copy of Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders by Emeril Lagasse.
-Only open to US residents (Sorry!)
-Begins now and ends Thursday 9/29/11. I’ll pick a winner Friday morning.
Here’s what you have to do: Comment on this post!
To earn extra entries (make sure to leave a separate comment for each):
1. Follow @not_rachaelray on Twitter
2. “Like” Not Rachael Ray on Facebook
3. Subscribe to my RSS feed or add your name to my email list.
4. Tweet about this giveaway: You can use this if you want: @not_rachaelray is giving away #sizzlingskillets by @emeril! http://wp.me/p1AwA6-oy
5. Like Emeril on Facebook.
6. Follow Emeril Lagasse on Twitter.
7. Like The Secret Ingredient on Facebook.
8. Follow The Secret Ingredient on Twitter.
That’s up to 9 chances to win! Enter by Thursday night (9/29) and I’ll choose a winner using random.org on Friday morning (9/30). Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond. Good luck!
Full disclosure: For my commitment to this blogger cooking party, I received a copy of this cookbook, as well as a set of Emeril – by zak! Table Art 7-piece Flame-Shaped Serving Bowls, and Emeril Seasoning; a $50 grocery reimbursement and Emeril cookbooks upon completion of the party. The top performing blogger, as selected by T-Fal, will be awarded an Emeril by T-Fal Slow Cooker. You will be eligible to win a copy of the cookbook, as well as the 7-piece zak! set (stick around to hear more about those two things). All opinions about the book and recipes, as always, are my own.