Turkey Sausage and Asparagus Quiche
This turkey sausage and asparagus quiche is brunch ready, perfect for Mother’s Day or any morning! It makes two quiches and it freezes great too!
I could eat quiche every day for the rest of my life. My mom would often make quiche for a breakfast-for-dinner type meal. Usually she makes one similar to the spinach quiche with a cornmeal crust on this site. The cornmeal crust is one of my favorite things EVER but I decided to switch it up and use a traditional pie crust for this quiche.
And by “decided to switch it up,” I clearly mean that I was feeling lazy AND I happened to have a box of pie crusts in my fridge. That’s right – a box. Sometimes shortcuts are okay! Most of the time they are okay. There are very few times that shortcuts are not okay. Shortcut taco seasoning is not okay. There, I thought of one. Homemade taco seasoning is just so easy and SO good. But you know what, if you want tacos and you don’t feel like making up a batch of taco seasoning? I’m not gonna judge you for ripping open a package. Do what you gotta do, girl (or guy).
If you’re feeling a bit more motivated than I was, this would be great with any homemade pie crust including my cornmeal crust. As you can see in my recipe, I used turkey breakfast sausage, but if you prefer pork, pork it is! If it renders a fair amount of grease, you’ll want to drain that off before adding it to the crust. And of course, if you don’t have asparagus on hand, this would be great with any number of vegetables. I’d try spinach or broccoli.
Turkey Sausage and Asparagus Quiche
Yield: 12-16 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
This turkey sausage and asparagus quiche is brunch ready, perfect for Mother's Day or any morning! It makes two quiches and it freezes great too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package of mild turkey breakfast sausage
- one bunch of asparagus, cut into bite sized pieces (2 heaping cups chopped asparagus)
- two pie crusts
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cup of milk
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Cook sausage, breaking up as it browns. Cook until no longer pink. Add asparagus and continue to cook until asparagus has softened slightly and turned a slightly darker green.
- Fit pie crusts loosely into two 9-inch pie pans, fluting edges -- they don’t have to be perfect.
- Spread half of sausage/asparagus mixture over the bottom of one crust, and the other half in the other crust..
- In a separate bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper. Pour evenly over sausage and asparagus in each pie crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Without opening oven, turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle. Let stand 10 minutes before serving warm, room temperature or cold.
Note: The skillet I used was not nonstick. If you have a nonstick skillet, you can probably get away with omitting the oil from this recipe.
Verdict: I can’t get enough of this quiche. I baked a frozen one this morning (I’m typing this a few days before I’m posting it) and I kind of want to go get a slice right now and it’s 9:30 at night.
Husband’s take: He loves this quiche as much as I do.
Changes I would make: None are necessary but it would be fun to play the fillings like I mentioned earlier in this post.
Loving quiche as much as I am? Make sure to try my roasted broccoli quiche as well!