Cinnamon Flax Granola
We’re granola addicts in our household. I have my standard recipe memorized but every time I make it, it changes a bit. And of course, I don’t really measure at this point so it always turns out the same, but a bit different.
This cinnamon flax granola has so many great nutritional benefits from the cinnamon, flaxseed, and ground flaxseed. It’s delicious, filling, and unbelievably easy to make. If you’re buying expensive granola from the store, you have to try this recipe. This might be my favorite rendition yet, but I do love the vanilla bean granola. And let’s not forget about the chocolaty mocha granola. Of course, there is always the traditional granola, or if there is a cool breeze in the air, you might want to try the fall-inspired apple crisp granola.
One of my favorite things about granola is that it is so easy to customize based on what you have in the house or what you might be in the mood for. You can easily throw in different nuts, seeds and play around with different spices or seasons. (I almost wrote herbs instead of spices. That would be….umm…different. But you know, worth a shot. Maybe a strawberry basil granola? Or maybe I need to go to bed.)
Enjoy this on its own, with yogurt (my favorite), in a bowl with milk, or on top of ice cream (my real favorite).
Cinnamon Flax Granola
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
This granola is packed full of nutrition and flavor thanks to flax seed and cinnamon. It will start your day off on the right foot and taste great!
- 3 cups thick-cut rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 sliced raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, ground flaxseed, coconut, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, salt, raw almonds and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl or mixing cup, mix together brown sugar, honey, vanilla and oil. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir and pour into dry ingredients. Mix until all dry ingredients are coated in wet ingredients.
- Spread out onto prepared sheet pan into an even layer and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and return to oven for 15-20 more minutes or until brown. Cool completely before storing.
Verdict: Love, love, love this.
Husband’s take: One of his favorite breakfasts. He mixes it with rice krispies (yeah…I know…whatever.) and eats it while he shaves in the morning.
Changes I would make: None are necessary but they are always fun.