Healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu
I love taking an old favorite and turning it into something that is a little healthier for my family. It isn’t only good for us, but it’s a fun challenge too. And you know what? I think I like this healthier version of Chicken Cordon Bleu even better than the original fried version. Although, for some reason, my memories of chicken cordon bleu revolve around a kind of nasty, frozen chunk of meat that already has been fried, and then you baked it off in the oven. I think I used to sell meat for school or something for some sort of fundraiser, so my mom probably felt compelled to buy that lovely chicken cordon bleu.
So perhaps my memories of this chicken are jaded, but I’ll still opt for this healthier chicken cordon bleu any day of the week.
Not only does it taste great, but it is super simple to prepare as well. Butterfly a chicken breast, stuff the goodies inside (I used deli-style ham and pre-sliced Swiss cheese), throw some panko breadcrumbs on top, bake and viola! Done. So simple! Oh–there is a little mustard in there for flavor too. I’ll definitely be making these again.
By the way, Carrie of Bakeaholic Mama interviewed me and made one of my family’s favorite recipes. Head on over to her site to read a little more about me and see what she made.
Look at that cheese running out and slightly browned on the pan! My favorite part.
Healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu
Yield: 3 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
This healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu tastes just as great as the fried version -- maybe better!
- ½ cup panko
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 and ½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 to 2 pounds), butterflied and pounded to ~¼ inch thickness
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces sliced ham
- 4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together panko and olive oil until panko bread crumbs are coated. Set aside. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place chicken (butterflied open) on sheet. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spread ham slices (I cut mine in half to fit) over one half of each chicken breast. Layer cheese slices on top of ham slices.
- Fold chicken over the ham and cheese. Brush the top of each chicken breast with about ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard. Cover with panko bread crumb/olive oil mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Verdict: I will definitely be making this again.
Husband’s take: He loved this! I wasn’t sure he liked Chicken Cordon Bleu but turns out he does. And he’s always on board when I’m making something a bit healthier.
How I served it to my 2-year-old: Cut up in pieces, she loved this!
Changes I would make: None are necessary but feel free to have some fun with the recipe. Use Canadian bacon or maybe a whole grain mustard.
Looking for more fun Chicken Cordon Bleu recipes? I can’t wait to try these…
Chicken Cordon Bleu Macaroni and Cheese from Iowa Girl Eats
Chicken Cordon Bleu Panini from Panini Happy
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta from Taste and Tell
Chicken Cordon Bleu Wraps from Real Mom Kitchen