Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits
You guys know Nikki? She writes the blog Seeded at the Table. I just adore Nikki, so when I heard some of her blogging buddies were going to throw her a virtual baby shower, I of course said, “Count me in!” It’s party-central around here lately. Nikki is having a sweet baby boy–her second! Nikki is originally from Michigan, very close to where I grew up, actually. These days she is living in Mississippi with her family. So to celebrate this sweet southern boy, we’re throwing her a southern-themed shower.
I’ll be the very first to admit that I don’t know a thing about the south. I’m from MI! But I think these buttermilk biscuits fit the bill. I realize that typically baby shower food is a bit on the dainty side and are cute little bites, etc. But let’s be real:
Nikki is having a boy — boys need food like this.
Nikki is pregnant — pregnant ladies need food like this.
So I don’t see an issue with this not being a cute little calorie-free bite that you can pop in your mouth. These buttermilk biscuits are far from calorie-free but pregnancy is the time to indulge. I threw in the herbs to give the biscuits a little freshness and color. Apparently I’m on a green kick this week.
The great thing about these is that you could substitute different herbs if you don’t have parsley and chives on hand. Or you can add herbs that will compliment the meal you are serving these with. These were great with beef stew and were also terrific with some eggs at breakfast. And they would be great for a baby shower. Really! Especially a southern baby shower.
So Nikki. Let’s talk for a minute. You’re about to have two kids. I’m obviously an expert on that topic. Oh wait, no…I’m not. I still don’t have a clue what I’m doing. But honestly, you’re going to do great. I just know you’re going to handle it with a smile on your face just like I’ve seen you do with everything else. Number one tip? Enjoy the baby snuggles–mine are already starting to get more scarce. Time goes too fast.
Enjoy every minute! Love ya girl! Can’t wait to “meet” the little man. xo
PS: I sent you a super lame present so be watching your mailbox.
Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits
Yield: 8-9 biscuits
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
These herbed buttermilk biscuits are a great twist on your typical biscuit. Flaky, buttery layers with fresh herbs thrown in to break up a little of the richness.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and herbs. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Scatter butter over dry ingredients and pulse 5-6 times or until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Do not overmix. Add the buttermilk and again pulse until it just begins to come together.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a large rectangle approximately 3/4-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits and place onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Press together scraps of dough and continue cutting out rounds until all the dough is used up. Don’t mess with the dough too much though, work quickly as you don’t want to warm it up too much.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter.
adapted from Food Network/Bobby Flay
Verdict: Buttery and rich but with the fresh taste of herbs to cut through and add a little life. Perfect!
Husband’s take: Umm..he was a major fan of these. What man wouldn’t be?
2-year-old’s take: She inhaled these.
Changes I would make: None are necessary, but you could add in different herb, some cheddar, some cracked black pepper–whatever! Have fun with them.
Difficulty: Not too hard!