Southwestern Mac & Cheese Muffins
These southwestern mac & cheese muffins will be loved by both your buddies & your toddler. These “muffins” are made from macaroni and cheese and are spiced up with a southwestern flair.
I’m a classy girl in that respect, huh.
I don’t care, I’ll say it loud and proud. I LOVE MAC & CHEESE. Any mac & cheese. Cold mac & cheese. Fancied up mac and cheese. Mac & cheese out of a box. I’ll take it all. These fun little mac & cheese “muffins” can be eaten with your hands and taste like a combination of mac & cheese and tacos. It’s really quite amazing. Dangerously so.
These little bites of heaven are also perfect for feeding your picky toddler (actually, my toddler isn’t picky–knock on wood). I use Annie’s Mac & Cheese because I know I can be confident in the all-natural ingredients in the box. Served with a side of fruits and veggies of course! Toddlers will love these because they can eat them with their hands. Moms letting me eat macaroni and cheese with my fingers? Oh yes she is! If you are worried about the spice, you could leave it out or reduce it, but they aren’t super spicy. They’ll be much less southwestern if you leave the taco seasoning out completely, so I recommend putting at least a little bit in.
PS: Make sure to season these cuties with homemade taco seasoning!
PPS: If you love these, you’ll really love the pizza version!
Southwestern Mac & Cheese Cups
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Fun mac & cheese cups that your buddies & your toddler will love. These muffins are made from macaroni and cheese and are spiced up with a southwestern flair.
- 1 six-ounce box of Macaroni and Cheese (I use Annie's reduced-sodium variety), plus ingredients to prepare it as directed on the box (milk + butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Annie's Cheddar Bunnies or other cheddar cracker, crushed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin tins with non-stick spray.
- Prepare macaroni and cheese as directed on box, except stir in taco seasoning in addition to the cheese powder. Once prepared, remove from burner and stir in grated cheddar cheese.
- Meanwhile, combine crushed Cheddar Bunnies and melted butter in a small bowl.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese mixture evenly into prepared muffin tins. Top with Cheddar Bunny/Butter mixture.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 17-20 minutes or until brown around the edges. Let cool at least 5 minutes before removing from muffin tins.
Verdict: Amazing. If I said things like “amazeballs,” that would be completely appropriate here.
Husband’s take: He was obsessed with these southwestern mac and cheese muffins.
Changes I would make: None!
This post is NOT sponsored by Annie’s Homegrown. All opinions, as always, are my own.