Cheddar Leek Dip Recipe
Extra sharp cheddar, stout, and hot sauce give this cheddar leek dip lots of flavor – my friends and family cannot resist it.
I hope you all had the BEST Christmas! Now it is time for focus on the New Year! Can you believe it is almost 2013? Yikes! Where does time go?
Moving on to the recipe….
Don’t get me wrong, dips aren’t typically the healthiest thing in the world but they are one of the tastiest things in the world. A special treat. Just in time for New Year’s Eve. Splurge while the splurging is good…before all those resolutions fall into place. This dip is super flavorful with extra sharp cheddar cheese, stout and hot sauce, all of which complement the mild flavor of the leeks perfectly. It still tastes great even as it cools if people are munching on it. You could also easily cook this in a small slow cooker, although you wouldn’t have the pretty browned top, and it might be a bit thinner. Worth a shot though!
Cheddar Leek Dip
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Extra sharp cheddar, stout, and hot sauce give this cheddar leek dip lots of flavor - my friends and family cannot resist it.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 leek, sliced into thin half moons (white and light-green parts only), rinsed well
- salt to taste
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I use the type made with olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons stout (Guinness)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leek, season with salt and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together cheddar, cream cheese, mayo, stout, hot sauce, and cooked leeks. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish and bake until bubbling and browned on top, about 18 to 20 minutes. Serve with crackers or mini-toasts. (Pictured is multi-grain french bread, toasted.)
adapted from Everyday Food magazine
Verdict: Very good! Super flavorful with the extra sharp cheddar, stout and hot sauce.
Husband’s take: I didn’t think he would like this because he’s not typically a fan of cheesy, creamy, cream-cheese type things. I was wrong. He loved this! I served this at a small get-together as well, and I think it was the favorite thing there. Everyone loved it.
Changes I would make: None