Today’s “a day in the life” is Megan of What Megan’s Making. Megan’s blog was one of the very first blogs that I discovered. Soon after I started reading her blog, I found out that she is married to someone I graduated high school with. Such a small world. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Megan in person at Taste of MI. She’s super sweet, just like I thought she would be. I wish we lived closer to each other because I know we’d be great friends.
Tell me about yourself and how you started food blogging.
I started my blog after I’d been married for just a few months. I was trying to learn how to cook, and also wanting to stay in touch with my friends in family back in Pennsylvania. I quickly fell in love with the whole process – from trying new recipes, attempting to style the food, and learning the basics of photography. Along the way my blog became about more than staying in touch – it became a wonderful hobby and part-time job. As a Christian, I want to use my blog as a way to point people towards Christ, but I also just love to talk about food and discover new recipes!
- 5:15 AM: wake up, drink coffee and read the Bible. Afterwards, I’ll get ready for work, eat breakfast, and take my puppy for a quick walk.
- 7:40 AM: Leave for work. I work at the Family Christian Stores headquarters 3 days a week as a programmer.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch! I either go home to let my dog out, or if I’ve taken him to doggy daycare for the day, I’ll take a walk at work.
- 5:00 PM Get off work and head home to fix dinner
- 6:30-7:00 PM : My husband usually gets home around this time. He tends to work long hours, so sometimes I’ll cook a nice dinner and wait for him to get home so we can eat together, but many times I will just make something quick and easy and re-heat it for him when he gets home. That’s probably why you don’t see all that many dinner recipes on the blog.
- Evening: Generally my evening consists of going for a walk with my husband and my puppy, watching a show on Hulu (we’re really into Revenge), and working on the blog. I love to just relax in the evenings and hang out with my husband. I tend to save all the household tasks and random errands for my days off. Most of my blog work also tends to happen on my days off and weekends. I’m really lazy when I get home from work!
What is your favorite day of the week?
My favorite day is Friday. I have that day off work, so I can spend the whole day getting stuff done around the house, working on my blog, and getting caught up from the week. Plus I know I have Friday evening and the whole weekend with my husband to look forward to.
If you had to choose one place to travel to every year over and over again, where would it be? Why?
Have you been there before? We just got back from a vacation to the Swiss Alps and we both agree that we would go back there in a second! It was incredibly beautiful with a ton of hiking trails. The views were just incredible.
What is your favorite quote or verse?
It’s hard to pick a favorite, but a verse that always comes to mind is Lamentations 3:22-23 – “Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness.” I love being reminded of God’s faithfulness. That verse is actually the reason I named my cupcake company Morning Glory Sweets.
What recipe on your blog do your readers seem to love most?
What have you found to be the most challenging part of blogging?
I think the most challenging part is not comparing myself to other bloggers. I keep having to remind myself that it’s not about the number of readers I have. I want my blog to be a ministry, and that is more important to me than page views. I just forget that sometimes. Although, I have to say that another hard part is that I feel like people are nervous to cook for me! I have to tell people all the time that really, I’m not that great of a cook – I just happen to love trying new things. I don’t write about the burned dinners and overcooked chicken on the blog.
Thanks Megan! That picture of the Alps is gorgeous–I’m jealous!