Caramel Biscoff Blondies

by Rachel Gurk on October 8, 2012 · 33 comments

in Cookies & Bars

Have you tried cookie butter yet? Biscoff? Speculoos? Same thing–different names–all amazing. Think smooshed up cookies. That you can eat with a spoon. Okay–so maybe that sounds gross, but believe me, this stuff is fantastic.

My husband tried one small taste of it and said “Throw it away, it’s too good to be in the house.”

Right he was.

Don’t worry, I didn’t listen. But I did bake with it! And then I gave away the treats so we wouldn’t eat them all. Totally necessary.

Caramel Biscoff Blondies
adapted from My Kitchen Addiction

1/2 cup (1 stick) unslated butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup Biscoff spread or other brand of cookie butter (I used Trader Joe’s Speculoos)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unwrapped caramels, cut into quarters (approximately 20 caramels before cutting)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9×13-inch pan.
2. Over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan, stirring constantly. Melt until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in cookie butter until incorporated. Pour into a large bowl to cool.
2. While that is cooling, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
3. Add one egg at a time into the cooled butter/brown sugar mixture, mixing well. Add vanilla extract and stir until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the cut-up caramels over the top, pressing down lightly into the batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and golden brown. Cool slightly in pan, but cut into squares before caramels harden.

Note: These get stuck in your teeth, but that’s just more to enjoy later!

Verdict: Delicious. Sweet, chewy and flavorful.
Husband’s take: Loved them!
Changes I would make: None.
Difficulty: Easy!

Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link. If you buy the cookie butter, you’ll be insanely happy and I’ll maybe make $0.01. Woohoo!

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Janet Fox October 8, 2012 at 7:24 am

OMG – these look delicious ! But I live in the UK and can’t buy cookie butter. Any suggestions for alternatives please ?

Thank you !

2 Rachel October 8, 2012 at 7:53 am

My only suggestion would be to buy it online. You could substitute peanut butter but it would greatly change the taste of these bars.

3 Blog is the New Black October 8, 2012 at 7:52 am

Yes please!

4 Tracey @cookingwithlove October 8, 2012 at 9:04 am

These looks really moist and yummy! I love that you used store bought caramels, make it even easier!

Rachael, what photo editing program do you use? I love how you typed in the name of the blondie on the photo in pink! :) Thanks!!

5 Rachel October 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

Thanks Tracey! I actually just use iPiccy.com–it’s a free online program!

6 Tracey @cookingwithlove October 8, 2012 at 9:13 am

Thanks so much Rachel! I spelled your name wrong, yet again! I’m confusing you with Rachael Ray and that’s a good thing! :)

Have you ever used the free editing programs pixlr.com, photoscape.org, or gimp.org, or picasa.google.com? Kelly from Just A Taste blog, mentioned these as free editing programs in her book I am reading “Food Blogging For Dummies”. I was just wondering if they were pretty good. I’m just starting my blog and my photos aren’t what I want them to be yet. Thanks! :)

7 Angela @ AnotherBitePlease October 8, 2012 at 9:27 am

I have yet to cook with biscoff but see so many recipes about it…I love your hubby’s comment so I am going to make these for sure. Printed recipe. Thanks for sharing…and I will make sure to share these bars. lol

8 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

These are all kind of deliciousness on a plate!

9 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’ll take seven.

10 amanda @ fake ginger October 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

Omg, I can totally taste these through the computer. Which is weird, I know. Especially since I’ve never tried Biscoff spread! I’m buying a jar just so I can make these.

11 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} October 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

I love cookie butter… must.make.these.

12 Lori @ Intoxicology101 October 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

These look amazing. Not a big caramel fan but gonna try it anyway. And I just found Ipiccy the other day, can’t wait to play around with it

13 Rachel October 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm

They would be great with pecans or another nut in place of the caramels for something different :)

14 Cassie | Bake Your Day October 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

My friend, these are amazing. I’m floored!

15 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I have quite a few caramels that I need to use up, so this is the recipe for me!

16 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! October 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love biscoff spread and it’s been a while since I’ve used it! These would be great for the holidays. :)

17 Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} October 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Ha! I love your hubby’s comment! These look way too good yo! :)

18 Kathryn October 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Apparently they are going to start selling cookie butter in one of the supermarkets over here soon so I will be able to jump aboard the bandwagon! I might well start with these; they sound amazing.

19 Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos October 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

These look like everything a blondie should be – gooey and delicious!! Cookie butter totally rocks and I bet these are awesome!!

20 Tracey October 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

These wouldn’t stand a chance in the house with me, I’d devour the whole batch in no time! The combo of the caramel and biscoff sounds amazing. I just so happen to have a ton of caramels in my pantry right now so they’ll be happening soon :)

21 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray October 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Yep, totally too good to be in the house. I know from experience!!

22 marla October 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Hey now ~ these blondies look AMAZING!!

23 Angie October 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

I’ve been wanting to make something with Biscoff spread for a while. These look so good!

24 Rachel October 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Thanks! Let me know if you try them!

25 Simply Sweet Justice October 17, 2012 at 12:13 am

AH-MAZING!!

26 Rachel October 17, 2012 at 7:37 am

Thank you!!

27 amy @ fearless homemaker October 18, 2012 at 8:59 am

as a caramel junkie AND a biscoff junkie, these are soooo up my alley. I’d totally eat one for breakfast right now if i had one handy! =)

28 Julia | JuliasAlbum.com October 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

So delicious! Very appetizing photo, too!

29 anickh October 20, 2012 at 4:23 am

You can buy biscoff spread at walmart but I honestly think that Trader Joes speculoos tastes way better than lotus biscoff spread. you can buy the trader joes speculoos at trader joes (obviously) but if you don’t have a trader joes, you can buy it off Ebay. I do it all the time. Look up “semniasier” Thats an Ebay member who sells speculoos.. fast shipping, good price, and always fresh product

30 Ande B. January 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I’m smiling just thinking about one (ok, two) of these with a cup of coffee. What a wonderful recipe, thank you for sharing.

31 Cece G. July 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

Love this recipe! Just one question… How stuck do the caramels get in your teeth?

32 Rachel Gurk July 28, 2013 at 2:16 pm

lol…pretty stuck. ;) So worth it though!

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 1 trackback }