Mini Pumpkin Doughnuts with Cider-Rum Glaze

by Rachel Gurk on October 3, 2012 · 25 comments

in Appetizers/Snacks, Cakes, etc., Desserts, Frosting/Sauces

Have you heard me mention that I love fall? Oh yeah–that’s right, I’m a broken record. These mini-doughnuts encompass ALL the great flavors of fall. They are so fantastic.

I have been eyeing doughnut pans for ages and I finally gave in and bought one–but the mini version. Partly because it would make cute little doughnuts and partly because that is all Kohl’s had. And I had a 30% off coupon. Gotta get this stuff while the gettin’ is good!

I took it home, washed it, and used it–all in the same day! This, my friends, is a major accomplishment for me these days. I not only went shopping but I also baked? Usually my pregnant body can only handle one big activity a day. Thank goodness for weekends and having Ben home to keep E entertained.

Mini Pumpkin Donuts with Cider-Rum Glaze

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 large egg
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup buttermilk (see note)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and lightly spray the mini doughnut pan.
2. Heat the cider and rum in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to approximately 1/4 cup. Whisk in the confectioners’ sugar until no lumps remain. Whisk in butter and set aside.
3. For the doughnuts: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg with the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, buttermilk butter and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag or a pastry bag. Cut off the corner of the bag and pipe the batter into the doughnut mold.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 6 to 7 minutes or until springy to the touch. Let cool slightly (1-3 minutes) before transferring to a wire rack with parchment paper or baking sheet underneath. Spoon the glaze over the top of the doughnuts. (Or dip them for even better coverage!) Makes 24-30 mini doughnuts.

Note: If you don’t have buttermilk in the house, you can substitute this way: Put 1 teaspoon white vinegar in a measuring cup. Add milk to make 1/3 cup. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Then it is ready to use!

Verdict: Oh. My. Goodness. I could eat waaaaaaay too many of these. And don’t even get me started on the glaze! Perfect combination of sweet and tangy.
Husband’s take: “You aren’t joking around with these” were his exact words. He loved them. E devoured them too.
Changes I would make: I drizzled the glaze but next time I would just dip each one in the glaze for better coverage and less glazy-goodness wasted.
Difficulty: Easy!

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jenny @ BAKE October 3, 2012 at 6:38 am

wow! those flavours sound incredible! I really want to try some of that glaze!

2 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl October 3, 2012 at 7:24 am

omg. You bake donuts from scratch? And own a donut pan? It’s official. My husband married the wrong woman. You are incredible.

3 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} October 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am dying over these. Posts like these make me want to move in right next door to you in MI!

4 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme October 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’ll take a dozen please. Ok, maybe two. What a great recipe for fall!

5 Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen October 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

Can I bathe in that glaze?

6 Ashley - Baker by Nature October 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh lady… I hope you saved me some of these ;)

7 Cassie October 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Totally dying over this glaze!

8 claire @ the realistic nutritionist October 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I second cassie, i’d drink that rum glaze WITH A STRAW!!

9 Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} October 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I can tell by looking at these that you aren’t messing around! LOL. I haven’t eaten yet and I’m starving now… thanks. :p

10 Tracey October 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm

You’re killing me with that glaze, it sounds amazing!!

11 Nik@ABrownTable October 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

How fun, these fall doughnuts look amazing!

12 Rachel October 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thank you Nik!

13 Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama October 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Great minds think alike on the pumpkin donuts today! This glaze! OH MY!

14 Kathryn October 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I bought a mini donut pan when I was in San Francisco and I can’t wait to start using it…especially if it means I get to dip things in a rum-cider glaze!

15 Suzan G. October 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

What a coincidence…I got two regular-size donut pans on clearance yesterday and I saw your post today. Holy Mother of God…these donuts are amazing!! I tweaked the recipe a little because I’ve been itching to try some flax meal and had dark brown sugar as well as light rum on hand. (I substituted 1/4 c. of the flour for the same amount of flax meal. I also added a small drizzle of canola oil because the flax meal box said I might need to add a little moisture when I substituted. I don’t know if it’s really needed, though.) I baked them at 400 degrees (dark pan) for 10 minutes. Now I must return to guard duty! I’m fighting off my husband and older son to make sure my younger son gets a taste, too. My younger son has food allergies so we can’t go to regular bakeries in general. What a special treat this will be for him. Thank You!

16 Rachel October 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for your sweet comment, Suzan! Glad your family enjoyed the donuts. Your adaptations sound fun, love the addition of flax!

17 Julie @ Table for Two October 3, 2012 at 9:09 pm

love the flavor combination in this donut!! the glaze – i could drink it.

18 Megan {CountryCleaver} October 3, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Fall is unequivocally my very favorite season – not the least of which is for the #Pumpkinallthethings mentality :)

19 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. October 6, 2012 at 12:46 am

Oh man, these look so good! I especially love that glaze!

20 Tracey @cookingwithlove October 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

This is such a unique recipe! I love the idea of the cider-rum glaze. I think I may just have to make the donuts! :)

21 Rachel October 8, 2012 at 7:49 am

Thank you!

22 Chrissy October 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Say WHAT? These look awesome! I love the glaze on these bad boys.

23 Lucy Hill October 22, 2012 at 2:53 am

Wow! That’s just so freakinly glazing amazing! Haha.

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 2 trackbacks }