{a day in the life} How Sweet It Is

I am so excited about this “a day in the life” feature. Jessica’s blog, How Sweet It Is, is one of my all-time favorites. As in, I don’t ever miss a post. I’m 200% sure I’m not the only one that feels this way. Jessica is hilarious, her photos gorgeous, and her food? Oh. My. Goodness. She is a creative genius, always coming up with something new and exciting. If you’re new to Jessica’s blog, you’ll find something you love–I promise. From healthy…to farrrrr from healthy, there is something for everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me about yourself and how you started food blogging.

I started blogging on a whim, mostly because I was stuck in a dead-end job that left me nothing to do all day but sit in front of a computer. I never intended for my blog to be about food – initially I wanted it to be more lifestyle based – but… my life was pretty boring at the time… besides from what I was making in the kitchen, of course. I had been cooking for years, so it just made sense to start taking pictures of it obsessively and sharing it with my readers. Who at the time were like, my mom and my husband.

Take me through your day.

I am an early bird! Total morning person right here. I love the mornings and love to get my day started.

5-5:30: wake up! I like to ease into my day mentally… I’ve done this since I was about 14 years old.

6-7: work out, which is usually some form of cardio or walking and maybe strength training depending on the day.

7: eat breakfast and get in front of the computer for the day… I basically never leave it’s side.

7:30-12: this is when I get the first half of my work done – it may be blog related (like actually being on the computer), developing recipes, testing recipes, photographing recipes, working on writing or freelance projects I have and generally just making a ginormous mess that I regret later.

12:30: though I will usually find something to snack on in the morning, this is typically the time that I make lunch, which means I grab something quickly and sit back down in front of the computer. Never ends! If I am working on multiple recipes that day, bites and pieces of them may end up as my lunch.

1-5: back to work… same old, same old. Recipes, photographing, writing, projects… I try to wrap up my “formal” work around 5.

5-6: I usually always have to take an hour and really deep clean my kitchen… yes, every day. Every single day. It is the worst hour of my day. Blah!

6-7: I try to get out of the house here, which usually involves going to yoga or a long walk with my cousin. Mental clarity time!

7-8: prepare some sort of dinner, while simultaneously doing more work.

8-10: I’d love to say I disconnect at this time, but I rarely do. My husband I may be off the computer for a few minutes during dinner, but as soon as we finish, we’re both reconnected. I finish up any loose ends here and usually prepare my post for the next day. Luckily, he is awesome and re-cleans the kitchen from dinner and does the dishwasher duty.

11: approximate bedtime! Sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes later, just depends.

What is your one must-have kitchen tool or gadget?

This totally differs everyday, but I’d have to say my food processor. I use it almost every day. Or my cast iron skillet? Use that almost every day too.

What is your favorite part of your day? Why?

Morning workout! I’ve been a morning exerciser since I was 16 years old and it just sets the tone for my day.

What is your LEAST favorite part of the day? Why?

Cleaning the kitchen… ugh.

What is your favorite day of the week? Why?

Thursday… I love the anticipation of Friday and the weekend.

If you had to choose one place to travel to every year over and over, where would it be? Why? Have you been there before?

Northern Michigan… my dad’s family is from the area and we have vacationed there every year of my life. It’s my favorite place in the world.

What is your favorite quote or verse?

“When you want something you’ve never had, you must do something you’ve never done.” I’m pretty sure it’s a Benjamin Franklin quote.

What is your favorite cookbook?

Ahhh! This is like asking me what my favorite song or movie or food is. I really love the Gourmet cookbook… but I have a collection that would make you cringe.

What recipe on your blog are you most proud of?

I’m always looking for the next best thing, so this is a hard question for me to answer. At the moment, the most challenging recipe I’ve shared has been homemade croissants, so let’s go with those. It’s amazing I had the patience to make them.

What recipe on your blog do your readers seem to love most?

I post so many recipes that this varies with the season, but people tend to go nuts over these homemade snickers bars.

What have you learned since you began blogging?

You must do it because you are 100% madly in love with the job.

What have you found to be the most challenging part of blogging?

Time management. I’m always always always connected.

Do you have any advice for someone who is interested in cooking or food blogging?

Just start! If you love food and want to share it with others… just begin. I think you learn the most as you go and from experience. Do it because you love it, don’t expect to make money, be involved with the community, support other bloggers and stop comparing yourself. There is room for everybody.

Who would you like to see featured here in the future?

Naomi from Bakers Royale

Heather from Heather Cristo Cooks

Lisa from With Style

Katie from Yes I Want Cake

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Jessica!  My in-laws have a place in Northern Michigan and I completely agree–there’s just something about it up there.

PS: It always blows me away that people can get so much done on so little sleep. I need 8 hours.

You can also find Jessica on FacebookTwitter and Pinterest

27 Responses to “{a day in the life} How Sweet It Is”

1. Liz S. — August 28, 2012 at 7:14 am

Jessica is the best!

2. Jenny @ BAKE — August 28, 2012 at 7:17 am

great interview! I’m addicted to how sweet it is, I just wish I could get up that early!

3. Aggie — August 28, 2012 at 8:01 am

Great interview!! Jessica, you inspire me to get up earlier!! That’s a huge challenge for me but I always love it when I do!

4. DessertForTwo — August 28, 2012 at 8:10 am

So fun to read!

5. JulieD — August 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love these, Rachel! Loved reading this, Jessica!!

6. Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 28, 2012 at 9:07 am

I have read every single post of Jessica’s since 2009! and I loved this interview. Jessica – you’re such an inspiration and I loved hearing about your day. And makes me feel not so bad about being connected and plugged in with the world for most waking hours of the day :)

7. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — August 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

Woohoo! Jessica’s was one of the first blogs I started reading, and her entries make my jaw drop on a daily basis. I’m so excited we got a peek into her life! :D

8. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

How Sweet It Is is one of my ALL TIME favorite blogs!!! It’s the best! So happy you have her on here :D ((I also need my 8 hours…I’m fascinated by people who don’t))

9. Lenore — August 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

These posts are so much fun and I have found so many new bloggers to read because of them! Thank you, Rachel, and thanks Jessica for sharing!

10. Jessica @ How Sweet — August 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

You guys are all seriously so kind. You are making my day. THANK YOU.
    And thanks so much Rachel for the post and your sweet words!

11. Kathryn — August 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Love Jessica and love finding out more about her!

12. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — August 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love that Jessica’s favorite place is Northern Michigan!! Lake Michigan is my happy place. Great article!

13. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 28, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Such a great interview. Jessica is AMAZING!

14. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I admire Jessica so much and loved this interview! I’m with you though, I need sleep, even if I don’t get it!

15. Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Loooooved this! Hi, Jess!

16. Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats — August 28, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I have also followed Jessica’s post for quite some time. She always makes me laugh and pushes me to do better with my photography and cooking skills. Love!

17. Kristen — August 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm

What a great interview. I love Jessica and am so proud to see how far she’s come because she works so hard.
    Thanks for giving us this glimpse into her day!

18. Aimee @ ShugarySweets — August 28, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Great interview!!!

19. Julie @ Table for Two — August 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Jess is amazing!! I love her and her creativity! Gosh, she’s brilliant.

20. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Seriously?! 5am!! I can’t function before 6:30, and I go to bed at 10:00!

Great interview!

21. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — August 29, 2012 at 12:09 am

I want to be able to work til 11pm (or later) and get up bright eyed at 5am please. Holy cow. I thought I had a hectic work life. What a lovely interview!

22. Jen @ Savory Simple — August 29, 2012 at 8:09 am

Jessica is living my dream life! The interview is fascinating and I love getting perspective from those who are successful full time bloggers. Thanks for this!

23. Ashley — August 29, 2012 at 9:09 am

Love this interview! I’m such a fan of Jess’s blog, and it’s always inspiring to get a little inside peak into “real life”.

24. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — August 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

I have tried so many of Jessica’s recipes I can’t even count them anymore…. when is she going to write a book!?

25. Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors — September 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Great interview! I love reading about the lives of food bloggers! Jessica is such a talented writer, and I’m always laughing out loud when reading her posts. That, and she always has this way of reminding me of crazy 90 trends that I had repressed :)

26. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — September 2, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I love getting a peek into other bloggers’ lives. How fun to get to know Jessica better – thanks!!

1. Pingback: FOOD HEAVEN | HONEY CHIPOTLE CHICKEN RECIPE