Chocolate Cocoa Nib Ice Cream

Did you all know that Brandy of Nutmeg Nanny is throwing an ice cream social on her blog? All ice cream for two weeks! (She’s not a crazy lady like me–two weeks was a smart choice compared to my whole month of pancakes.)

When she asked me to participate, I immediately said yes. Partly because I’m preggers and eat a lot of ice cream. Mostly because I love Brandy and her blog.

My next thought? “Oh crap, I’ve never made ice cream!”

I put on my best can-do attitude and pulled the ice cream maker out of the closet and got to brainstorming about recipes. I remembered that I had a pantry full of beautiful Scharffen Berger chocolate that was just screaming to be included in a decadent batch of ice cream.

This led me to Chocolate Cocoa Nib ice cream. It is creamy, rich, and has a nice crunch from the cocoa nibs. It’s also an egg-free recipe! I decided to start easy for my first ice cream experience. It is still a bit labor-intensive but so, so worth it.

Head on over there for the recipe.

*Sharffen Berger didn’t pay me to name drop. It’s good stuff.

17 Responses to “Chocolate Cocoa Nib Ice Cream”

1. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 24, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh…em…gee!! Heading over NOW! I love cocoa nibs!

2. Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama — August 24, 2012 at 9:54 am

This looks so delicious!!! I have cocoa nibs in my pantry and need to find some more ways to use them.

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm

you really really shouldn’t have outdone yourself like this – but so glad you did :)

4. Laurie {Simply Scratch} — August 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Cocoa nib perfection right hurrr! LOVE!

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — August 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I’m an ice cream freak AND I have some good chocolate AND a brand new bag of organic cocoa nibs. Now all I need is to head over to NN and pick up this recipe. Definitely a win for me.

• Rachel — August 26th, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

Hope you love it!

6. michelle — August 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I’ve never made ice cream before either…. I need to get an ice cream maker STAT.

7. Emily @ Life on Food — August 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I don’t need to be pregnant to want some of this…immediately. Looks fantastically chocolatey!

8. Kathryn — August 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm

This ice cream sounds amazing Rachel! Love the addition of cocoa nibs.

9. Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

So impressed that this was your first ice cream, it looks incredible!

10. LalaMoosh — August 28, 2012 at 2:41 am

My husband works on various commercial ice cream makers, which led to his infatuation with all things ice cream & frozen treats (we have just about everything you can think of from a soft serve machine, to a 1 gallon batch freezer -which makes both ice cream & water ice- , a granita machine & what most know as the “slurpee” or FCB -frozen carbonated beverage- machines, as well as a waffle cone maker & too avoid writing a small novel, let’s just say that I could easily open up my own ice cream parlor) & I am baffled by this whole “egg free” thing as we have learned that TRUE ice cream doesn’t use eggs & recipes that do are actually known as “frozen custard.” From what we’ve learned, custard is more popular in the heartland or Mid-West of the USA & we basically never use any egg products in our ice cream recipes. Your chocolate nib ice cream looks yummy but lately I’ve been happy with fruit flavors (cantaloupe is freakin’ awesome, but make sure it’s the consistency of baby food for blending) & vanilla (made extra vanilla-y with a good bourbon vanilla extract & vanilla bean scrapings), but I’ll have to make some just to try it. The only ice cream flavor I can’t enjoy is coffee.

11. Erin @ Texanerin Baking — August 29, 2012 at 11:49 am

Wow! It looks amazing. And your scoops are perfect looking! It looks so perfect it looks fake. But that’s a good thing. :)

12. Debra — September 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

That looks like chocolate heaven. :)

1. Pingback: Ice Cream Round-Up | Cravings of a Lunatic

2. Pingback: 25 Decadent Chocolate Valentine's Day Desserts - Rachel Cooks

3. Pingback: Coconut Hot Fudge Ice Cream Recipe » Rachel Cooks

4. Pingback: A Spicy Perspective Turtle Pumpkin Ice Cream Cake - A Spicy Perspective