{a day in the life} Of ME!

by Rachel Gurk on August 21, 2012 · 69 comments

in A day in the life, Rachel's Life

Today’s “a day in the life” feature fell through so you are stuck with little ol’ me. I should probably say “big ol’ me” these days! I’m going to interview myself today. Kinda weird, right? Oh well. Also, my life is unbelievably exciting (NOT) and completely revolves around my daughter. That part I’m okay with. Try not to fall asleep reading this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me about yourself and how you started food blogging.

I’m hoping you all sort of know this already and of course you can refer to my “about me” for more info. If you’re new here, I worked full-time as a doctor of physical therapy before I had my daughter (E). Then I transitioned to being a stay-at-home mom. (Although I still get in a few hours at the hospital here and there because I also love that job!) I’ve always enjoyed reading food blogs as well as cooking and writing. It seemed like a good use of my time at home. I’ve really grown to love it and this little bloggy of mine has seen a lot of changes since I started. Who knows what the future holds for it–I’m not sure how people with more than one kid and/or a full-time job do it!

Take me through your day.

This is a “typical” day for me. Every day is a little different. If my husband is home, things are totally different, or I head off to work at the hospital and he hangs out with E. I’ve always had E on a “schedule” of some sort (I know it isn’t for everyone, but it works for us!) so life does kind of revolve around nap times and meal times. I find that if we don’t mess with these times too much, everyone is significantly happier!

6:30-7: Drag my big pregnant butt out of bed. I love need to get up before E does or I’m outta wack all day. I make and eat breakfast, drink my coffee, and do some blogging–reading, tweeting, writing, whatever needs to be done.

7:30ish: E wakes up. I make her breakfast and we hang out. If I have a few things to finish up, I divide the computer screen in half and she watches Sesame Street on YouTube while I finish up some work.

8ish: We clean up the kitchen, unload the dishwasher, throw in a load of laundry, whatever needs to be done. Make the bed if I haven’t yet. Brush our teeth and get dressed.

9ish: I like to get out of the house in the mornings. Doesn’t always happen. Sometimes we stay home and bake or get laundry done. Or sometimes, unfortunately, we stay home because I’m just feeling crappy. Pre-pregnancy, we’d usually go to the gym during this time. I know I still should but I can barely get through the day as it is. If we go out, we’re usually running errands (bank, post office, shopping, groceries, etc.) or heading to a fun playdate with friends. I am very blessed to have a few friends in the area who have children very near to E’s age.

10:30: Snack time for E (and for her pregnant momma). I usually throw something in my purse to give her if we are running errands.

12ish: Lunch, clean up lunch, play.

1ish: E goes down for a nap. She sleeps anywhere from 1 to 3 hours these days. Three hours is a rarity. During this time, I’m usually blogging, photographing anything I made that morning, and taking care of other assorted household business (bills, phone calls, etc.).

3 or 4: E gets up from a nap and has a snack. Chances are, I’m snacking too. I pretty much need to eat 24/7 to keep the nausea under control and even that doesn’t always help. If we’re lucky, Ben gets home from work around 4, but depending on his schedule (he’s a high school assistant principal so sometimes has meetings, football games…)  it could be anywhere from 4 to 11pm. If he has a really late night, we often get in the car drive the 45minutes to an hour to his work to grab dinner with him and go to the football game, meeting, talent show, whatever might be going on.

5ish: If we’re going to be home for dinner, I start dinner around 5. If I’m making something that requires more prep, I may have started on that earlier in the day. These days, I get really tired around this time so it has been super hard for me to get dinner on the table, but I try my best to limit the carry-out.

6ish: We eat. At the table, together. Sometimes with a fun music station playing on Pandora. After we finish dinner, I clean up while Ben plays with E in the living room. These two rooms are open to each other so it actually makes cleaning up bearable because I get to watch these two play together. After I finish cleaning up, we all hang out in the living room, reading or whatever. If it is nice out, sometimes we go to a park or take a walk or just play outside. Sometimes we Skype with E’s grandparents since they do not live in town.

7:30: “Quiet time” Sorta. We give E her milk, play in the living room. Turn off the music if we had it on. At about 7:55 we clean up the toys, E puts away her milk in the fridge and we start our bedtime routine.

8: E gets her pjs on, brushes her teeth, we pray with her, give her lots of hugs and kisses, and into bed she goes! After she goes to bed, Ben and I hang out with each other, do work on the computer, watch tv, and pretty much just relax. I love this time.

10: I’m in bed! I’m lucky to make it til 10 these days.

What is your one must-have kitchen tool or gadget?

My air popper. I eat popcorn literally probably three days a week. When I’m showing restraint. I love being able to pop some up and not having to clean a pan. Oh yeah, and it’s healthier. Right. Until I put butter and salt on it.

What is the most important part of your day? Why?

Sleeping and eating. For obvious reasons.

What is your favorite part of your day? Why?

Again, sleeping. Kidding, sort of. I really enjoy the family time that Ben, E and I spend together during and after dinner. I’m a family girl and a homebody so I’m perfectly content hanging out at home with my two favorite people.

What is your LEAST favorite part of the day? Why?

Every morning I wake up and throw up. That part of my day sucks. Sometimes I throw up more than once a day. I don’t like that time of day either.

If you could choose one room in your house to remodel (on an unlimited budget!) which room would it be and why?

Kitchen for sure! I would love some upgraded appliances and some prettier cupboards, etc. We aren’t planning on living in our current home more than a few more years, so I haven’t really put too much effort into it. PS: Below is an old picture. There are now more cookbooks, a pretty KitchenAid mixer, and E has more hair.

What is your favorite day of the week? Why?

Saturday and Sunday! As I said before, I love spending time with Ben and E.

If you had to choose one place to travel to every year over and over, where would it be? Why? Have you been there before?

We had a lovely honeymoon in Jamaica. I hate to go to the same place more than once because we don’t have an unlimited travel budget (sniff sniff) so I like to always experience new places. But Jamaica was really, really fun and super relaxing. I could definitely handle going there on a yearly basis. The food was amazing at our resort, too.

What is your favorite quote or verse?

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life.” Matthew 6: 25-27

What is your favorite cookbook?

This is a hard question! Kind of lame, but I love my Betty Crocker Cookbook. It has a lot of great recipes that are pretty basic and fun to turn into my own creation. I also love The Flavor Bible, it is a must-have if you enjoy developing your own recipes.

What recipe on your blog are you most proud of?

I really love how my Cinnamon-Vanilla Swirl Bread turned out. It was really my first time baking a yeast bread and I was so happy with the results!

15. What recipe on your blog do your readers seem to love most?

My 5-ingredient M&M Peanut Butter Bars were wildly popular on Pinterest.

What have you learned since you began blogging?

It is A LOT of work. But it doesn’t have to be. It can be whatever you want it to be, really. But what I want it to be requires a lot of work. ;)

What have you found to be the most challenging part of blogging?

Not comparing myself to other, “more successful,” bloggers.

Do you have any advice for someone who is interested in cooking or food blogging?

Do some research before you start. And make sure you love your domain name. It will save you headaches.

Who would you like to see featured here in the future?

This is a silly question for me to answer–but if you have suggestions or if you would like to be featured, please email me! rachelcooksblog@gmail.com.

*This post contains affiliate links.

{ 69 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Julie @ Table for Two August 21, 2012 at 7:56 am

I LOVE that you did a day in the life on the fabulous lady behind this blog and series!! :) :) i hope this whole sickness doesn’t continue much longer and you get some relief before baby boy comes! your days sound busy with a kid but you definitely know how to work out the times and divvy it up! Don’t compare yourself to other “successful” bloggers. Sometimes I feel like it’s all a popularity contest. It’s so high school. And we aren’t in high school anymore so don’t compare :) you are you and you’re doing a phenomenal job with this blog!! xoxo

2 Rachel August 21, 2012 at 7:58 am

You are so sweet. xoxo

3 kelley {mountain mama cooks} August 21, 2012 at 8:41 am

Fun! I remember life with {really} little ones and they are pretty much the same day after day. I, too, kept them on a routine and life seemed so much more doable and I didn’t go crazy! Hope you’re feeling well and getting plenty of rest!

4 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Kelley! How’s your knee treating you? xo

5 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray August 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

Ah, yay! I’m happy to hear about a day in *your* life. And I love how much your prioritize family time–it’s so nice to hear that you guys all sit together at the table to have dinner. I grew up with that as a nightly routine in my house, too, and I really am so glad my parents worked to have it be that way. :)

6 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:26 am

Thanks Tara! It is something we both grew up with as well and means a lot to us.

7 Ali @ Gimme Some Oven August 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

I’m so glad you featured YOU! :) That photo of your daughter is too cute. And I would be proud of that bread too — beautiful!

8 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thanks Ali! xoxo

9 Lesa @Edesia's Notebook August 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

Loved it, Rachel. Your day sounds a lot like my day (minus the throwing up!). I love your Bible verse; that was the one that the pastor preached on at our wedding. :) You’ll have to re-do this after your baby is born, because your day will be so different!

10 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:28 am

Oh boy, I am sure life will be SO different after baby! Should be interesting!

11 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} August 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

I love that you did this on yourself too – I was wondering if you were going to!! I love this segment! I’m sad that little boy is still making you sick every morning!

12 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:30 am

Thanks girl! Glad you like the segment! I need to feature you soon!

13 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:39 am

Oh my gosh pregnancy brain. Already featured you…duh. Sorry.

14 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel August 21, 2012 at 10:11 am

That bread looks incredible Rachel!

15 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks! I’m sure it was totally a fluke that it actually came out well ;)

16 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

I like that you did yourself – fun to see more about the person behind the blog! I was sick the whole time I was pregnant too, so I feel for you!

17 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:33 am

Isn’t being sick the GREATEST?!? I feel bad complaining because we are so blessed to be expecting but, I’m sorry. It sucks throwing up daily for nine months straight.

18 Kathryn August 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love this series and I loved finding out more about your days! You can kinda figure out people’s schedules from when they pop up on twitter and are commenting etc but it’s so fun to find out what people are doing the rest of the time too!

19 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

Thanks Kathryn! I love your comments. I think you are my #1 commenter and I just want to say thank you! I really appreciate it. xo

20 Julia August 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Your day, all the way down to the times your kid snacks and naps, are just like mine. Well, just like mine on the days I’m home, not stuck at my full time ‘stare at the computer all day’ job.
I hope pregnancy gets a tad bit better for you! I understand the whole having to eat 24/7 or else you may just lose it, I’m legitimately sick of eating! I know, crazy! But man, it would be nice to go like 30 minutes without having to have a cracker, or string cheese or something.

21 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oh how I wish we lived by each other. We would have so much fun!

22 katie August 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Love that you featured yourself! I love this weekly segment! I have heard a few people rave about the flavor bible.. guess i need to splurge and buy it! :)

23 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

Definitely! It is a great resource, you’ll be glad you bought it.

24 natalie@thesweetslife August 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

i’ve loved this feature EVERY week but it was so fun to learn more about you! you’re such a great girl & blogger–fun to know a little more behind the scenes stuff :)

25 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

Thanks Natalie! You are so sweet. xox

26 Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama August 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Love that you did a feature on yourself! Sorry you still are dealing with morning sickness. You are doing an awesome job keeping the blog up while dealing with all the pregnancy issues! Blogging is way more work than I would have ever imagined and it is so hard to not compare yourself. I think you have done a fantastic job with your blog in the short amount of time you have been at it.

27 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thanks Jamie. Can’t wait to meet you in October!

28 Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep August 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm

So cute! I loved the picture of your kitchen with the top of your little cutie’s head peeping up from the bottom! You & I sound a lot alike when it comes to our blogging challenges & the things we’ve learned! It was nice to see what someone else’s day is like… hope your mornings begin to start out with a little less “upheaval”! ;)

29 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks Dianna! I laughed out loud when I read your comment and “upheaval!” HAH!

30 Kim | At Home With Kim August 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Rachel, this is SO fun!!! I’m so super glad you interviewed yourself. :-) It’s fun taking a look behind the scenes of your blog. Hope you are feeling well Friend!

31 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:38 am

Thanks Kim! xox

32 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen August 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Great idea to put yourself in these shoes! Loved it!

33 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:39 am

Thanks Miss! xoxo

34 Bree August 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm

This is great! Your daughter is a doll!

35 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thanks Bree! xo

36 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 22, 2012 at 3:22 am

I love that all times are in “ish”. That’s a description of my life. Everything is in ish or maybe.

Thankfully pregnancy doesn’t last forever and then you’ll have two little people that will consume your every waking (and sleeping) moment and you’ll love it.

37 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:23 am

Yes, I am definitely thankful pregnancy doesn’t last forever!! Can’t wait to meet our little guy and all the new challenges that will come with that! :)

38 Sheila August 22, 2012 at 8:33 am

Very fun! Yes I agree it can be alot of work…depending on what you want out of it…this has been a enormous struggle for me. Right now I have to choose family, by kids are at a critical age 10-15 can see my time is short with them, so they take up alot of my time…and energy. Think that baby in your tummy is sucking you dry, wait till you have teenagers!!! I digress…
And yes the comparing thing is so so so hard…we all do it, why? I think it’s human nature, and kind of a girl thing. But try not to, you have a great blog, fun content, and lotsa readers. Can’t wait to meet you in October! xoxox, Sheila

39 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 8:40 am

Thanks Sheila! SO looking forward to October!

40 cassie August 22, 2012 at 8:56 am

This is SO great. E is the cutest!! I love the verse that you chose – one of my favorites too! :)

41 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Cassie! xo

42 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles August 22, 2012 at 10:00 am

Love that you interviewed yourself – it’s always great to get an update! ;) I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling so fabulous being pregnant, but you already know how much this time is worth. That is one of my favorite verses, too. It’s taped inside my bathroom vanity door, in fact – a daily reminder/affirmation. Have a great day, Rachel!!

43 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

It should be taped up somewhere in my house as well–great idea!

44 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective August 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yay! Love learning more about you sweet friend!

45 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Sommer!

46 amy @ fearless homemaker August 22, 2012 at 10:47 am

How fun to finally read about YOU on one of these! It’s so fun to learn more about the bloggers that we follow + connect with on twitter. =) PS – I totally have to try out that swirl bread!

47 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Amy!

48 Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet August 22, 2012 at 11:31 am

I have loved ready “a day in the life of…” but I think I enjoyed reading yours the most. It sounds like you have an amazing life (except for the morning throw-up). That too shall pass and you’ll have a new bundle of joy to love. I can totally relate to your comment about not “comparing myself to more successful bloggers”. I do that daily…and get mad at myself for doing it. lol Glad I’m not alone. Love your blog and love you!!

xo
Heather

49 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks Heather! Love ya! xox

50 DessertForTwo August 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I love day in the life posts :)

51 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank you!

52 Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} August 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that! I love learning more about my fellow food bloggers! I have the same problem about comparing myself to more successful food bloggers… really, I feel lost because I have no clue how I’m doing compared to others… or if people even like my blog. I just try not to think about it. :) So where did you honeymoon in Jamaica? My hubby and I got married at Sandals Whitehouse and had a very relaxing 2 weeks there, but it was kind of a boring resort with not a lot going on. Next time, I want a party! lol :)

53 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

We stayed at Couples Swept Away in Negril–it was great. Just not long enough! :)

54 Sues August 23, 2012 at 7:45 am

Love this!! You seem so busy, I don’t even know how you have time to cook/bake/blog! Oh, how I dream of days with more time :)

55 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Doesn’t everyone dream of days with more time? :) If only….

56 Vicky August 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

Love that you featured yourself for this “a day in the life” series. Great to get to know more about you. Can’t believe you’ve been throwing up every morning – that is seriously the worst way to start your day and the one thing that truly scary me about pregnancy (aside from the whole giving birth part – which is also pretty terrifying)! Love that you eat popcorn all the time — that is my favorite snack too though I just make it on the stove in a pop – no air popper : (

57 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Thanks! I hate the throwing up…but it is all worth it in the end :)

58 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl August 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

LOVE that you did this on yourself!!! You have such a beautiful (growing!) family!! xoxo

59 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Thanks Liz! You have a beautiful family as well!

60 megan @ whatmegansmaking August 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

aw, your life sounds so fun!! I loved reading about this – I think we would be friends in real life for sure! Only another few months until we get to hang out in person! :)

61 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks Megan! I think we would (will!) be friends in real life too!

62 Geni August 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

What a sweet, albeit tiring life, if you ask me. Spending time with your girl and your hubby sounds like it fills your heart so much and for that I am so happy for you. It sounds like you have all your priorities perfectly straight and your little E will reap the benefits her whole life for that. As adult women, we can see how much having our upbringing has given us…it give us the basis for our future if we are lucky. Take care sweetie and I truly hope your nausea goes AWAY! How many months are you along? Isn’t it supposed to be OVER?! :( Mine was awful and vicious and lasted 24/7 but magically and thankfully went away during the third month.

63 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Geni! Miss playing Words with Friends with you :)
I’m 5 months along…and yes, it is supposed to be OVER but I threw up every single day with E too, so I was sort of prepared for it.

64 chellie August 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Rachel,
So fun reading your post today! My heart goes out to you on the pregnancy sickness thing. I remember eating breakfast, throwing up, and then going to work. ugh! I ate alot of bananas, they weren’t so bad coming up. LOL! I will pray this passes soon. Also, I have the same exact oven, and also wish it was gas. haha. Looking forward to meeting you in person at taste of Mi.

65 Rachel August 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks Chellie! Can’t wait to meet you in October.

66 Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos August 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

It was fun to learn a little bit more about you, Rachel! Keeping the kids on a schedule is what keeps the chaos to a minimum at my house ;)

67 Rachel August 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks Becca! Looking forward to meeting you in October.

68 Nikki @Pennies on a Platter August 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm

What a great feature! I read every word, still searching for that reason we seem to “know” each other! lol! Can’t wait to meet you and put all of this into perspective in October. :)

69 Rachel August 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Can’t wait to meet you too, Nikki! I’m beginning to think that you must just have one of “those” faces that looks familiar! Hopefully we can figure it out in October.

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

Previous post: