Puffy Vanilla Bean Peach Pancake

Let me begin by saying, calling this a “pancake” is a bit of a stretch. Also, puffy is a bit of a stretch. It comes out of the oven puffy, but it doesn’t last long. However, it tastes stinking good. What else really matters? And yes, this was one of my “back-up” posts for the pancake party in case someone dropped out. And yes, I was going to wait a little longer before posting it. But I have a headache. And I’m tired. And this post is ready.

Anyways….With the small amount of flour and the large amount of milk and eggs, it ends up being more of a baked custard consistency. It reminds me of bread pudding minus the bread.

So it isn’t really a pancake.

Puffy Vanilla Bean Peach Pancake

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
4 large eggs, beaten

1 cup diced or sliced peaches
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
pulp of one vanilla bean (I used a Madagascar Bean)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8- or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine dry ingredients listed on the top half of the list in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a large liquid measuring cup or small bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Slowly add this to the dry ingredients, whisking as you add it so that there are no lumps.
4. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
5. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients from the lower half of the list (peaches, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, vanilla beans). Stir until the peaches are well coated with the vanilla and the spices. Distribute the peaches over the batter. The will sink to the bottom but then they come back up to the top as it bakes.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and not jiggly in the middle.
7. Serve warm with butter and/or additional peaches.

*Note: I’m sure this would be best with fresh peaches but all I had were canned and it still tasted great.
*Note: You could easily double this recipe and use a 9×13 pan. I wanted my 9×13 pan to be clean for the macaroni and cheese I was going to make.

Verdict: Delicious. I loved the vanilla and nutmeg.
Husband’s take: He loved this too. It was good reheated as well.
Changes I would make: Fresh peaches!
Difficulty: Easy.

14 Responses to “Puffy Vanilla Bean Peach Pancake”

1. Kathryn — August 10, 2012 at 7:36 am

Whatever you want to call it, it looks so good! I love the combination of peach and vanilla.

2. Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — August 10, 2012 at 9:00 am

Ok, this looks awesome – I think the peach slices do me in.

Is this baby boy still giving you trouble?? I want this to stop – maybe I need to come to taste of MI just to give him a pep talk to start being nice!! :)

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 10, 2012 at 9:20 am

the pulp of one vanilla bean in the recipe? oh swoon even more. sounds heavenly! and i call things like this a clafoutis – heavy on the eggs, low on the flour, add fruit. Easy batter and bake in a pan. Whatever you call it, I call it fabulous.

• Rachel — August 11th, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Thanks! I’m totally obsessed with vanilla. Next time I’ll call this a clafoutis–sounds way fancier :)

4. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 10, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love all the vanilla flavor – and with fresh peaches I am sure this would be amazing!!!

5. Tammy Harrington — August 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Going to try this for Sunday “breakfast for dinner” with some apples, since I have no peaches right now. Seems like it will still be yummy

6. Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Love the flavors of this…the method reminds me very much of a German pancake; cooked in the oven until it gets puffy but then it falls pretty quickly too. Who cares…as long as it eats well right?

7. amanda @ fake ginger — August 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

Love this! I need to remember this next time I don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

8. JDaniel4's Mom — August 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I love the make breakfast for dinner! This would be a great dish for that.

9. Emily @ Life on Food — August 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Although I love my pancakes, the custard description makes me want to try this out right away. Yum. yum!

10. Stephanie — August 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

If it tastes like custard then I don’t really care if it’s a pancake or not.. I just want it in my mouth!

11. Jenny @ BAKE — August 16, 2012 at 6:35 am

this looks amazing! just like a deconstructed peach cobbler!

12. The Brunette Baker — August 22, 2012 at 10:23 am

You had me at the peaches, but vanilla beans and pancakes? Sign me up. These look incredible! XO

• Rachel — August 22nd, 2012 @ 1:04 pm