If you go to Katrina’s site, In Katrina’s Kitchen, you’re sure to find tons of really fun and creative recipes. So when Katrina agreed to come to the pancake party, I knew it would be something insanely creative and adorable. She did not disappoint!
Here are some more of Katrina’s great recipes:
Here’s the thing- I don’t really like pancakes. Actually, it’s syrup that I don’t care for. Or maybe it’s the combination of the 2 things together? I’ve spent a fair amount of time thinking about this so let’s look into this, shall we?
I went through a 10 or 12 year phase where I couldn’t eat eggs. I ate eggs as a child and I have no idea what caused the sudden egg-hate. I was not allergic but I just could not physically make myself eat them. So I ate pancakes. For YEARS I ate pancakes. That got so boring (much like this story) that I decided to make myself like eggs again as an adult. I started myself on deviled eggs and hard boiled eggs before I moved on to the cooked variety.
It’s a good thing too because this whole process saved my marriage. You see, I was newly married to a man who loved eggs and I could barely even stand cracking one open to bake a batch of cookies. The horror! There was no way I could stand over a skillet and smell them cooking. The happy ending is that I eat eggs in all their forms now. I can even eat a pancake or 2. But hardly ever with syrup; I dip mine in yogurt. Anyone else do that?
Since I am still slightly bored of pancakes I decided to go a different direction. I love cherry limeade and these bite-sized cakes were the perfect combination of my favorite summertime drink. I made a classic buttermilk batter that got me through my egg-hating years and added a small box of cherry Jell-O powder. I used a small bottle to squirt little cherries onto the griddle was able to turn out heaping plates of these for my little guys in no time. Add some lime dipping sauce and it’s Summer for breakfast!
Cherry Limeade Pancakes
- 3 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- 2 Cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Small box of cherry Jell-O
- 2 Cups buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Cup cream (or milk)
- juice of 1 lime (about 1 Tablespoon)
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Jell-O powder.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Transfer batter to a bottle (if desired).
- Heat griddle to low/medium heat. Squirt small drops of batter onto griddle. Flip when tiny bubbles begin to form on the surface. Continue cooking through.
- Combine syrup ingredients and stir until smooth.
Notes From My Kitchen:
- I omitted the sugar from this recipe since I was adding Jell-O. You can add 1/4 Cup of sugar if you like your pancakes sweeter. I may use the large box of Jell-O the next time I make these.
- I used a nonstick griddle so I did not grease it. You know your griddle- use what you normally use when you make pancakes!
- It took about 1 minute over low/medium heat to make these tiny pancakes.
These are so adorable, Katrina. Your boys are so blessed to have such a fun mom!
Remember to follow along with all the pancakes this month, just click on the picture below.