Cookie Dough Pancakes

Today I am so happy to introduce you all to Tracey of Tracey’s Culinary Adventures!

Not only does Tracey churn out great content, but she does it often! There is no shortage of recipes on her site. Make sure to take a look at her step-by-step guide to making croissants, Garlic-Rubbed Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Tomatoes, Thousand-Layer Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Skillet Lasagna.

~~~~~~~~~~

Chocolate Cookie Dough Pancakes

Breakfast is easily my favorite meal of the day, and though I usually just have yogurt with fruit and granola most mornings, pancakes are at the top of my “special” breakfast list. So, of course, when Rachel asked if I wanted to participate in a month-long pancake party on her blog, I jumped at the chance! I met Rachel last year when we both participated in a cookbook release party. You guys probably already know how kind she is, but I’ve also discovered she’s one of the most organized people I’ve ever met. I wish some of that would rub off on me!

aea2d216-048c-4b10-9b6b-5a55341f77df

I waffled over the decision about what pancake to share today for so long. In the end, as it often does with a sweet tooth like mine, chocolate won. Yes, chocolate for breakfast – I’m not ashamed to say it happens from time to time here. But these aren’t just chocolate pancakes. There are also little pieces of cookie dough hidden inside of them! It’s an eggless cookie dough so need to worry about getting sick either (not that that’s ever stopped me from eating traditional cookie dough…).

I suspect I’m probably going to have a hard time selling these pancakes as anything but dessert, but I’ll give it a try. This is actually the first time I’ve made chocolate pancakes, and they really weren’t as sweet as I expected. The texture was surprisingly light too. Adding the cookie dough definitely took them over the top, but in the best way possible. If you’ve ever underbaked a batch of cookies, only to find you adored the slightly gooey, raw centers, the cookie dough in these pancakes will be right up your alley. It softens as the pancakes cook, mimicking that gooey raw cookie center, yet it still holds its shape so it’s contained within the pancakes. I topped these simply with a dusting of powdered sugar and thought they were perfect. Whether you serve them for breakfast, dinner or dessert, they’re sure to be a hit!

7481907514_d5f87254fe_oe

Chocolate Cookie Dough Pancakes
inspiration and cookie dough from The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook by Lindsay Landis, chocolate pancakes from Serious Eats

{Note: this recipe makes more cookie dough than you’ll need for the pancakes. The extra makes a delicious snack – just saying :) )

Cookie Dough

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature

To make the cookie dough: Cream the butter and both sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla, beating until incorporated. Mix in the flour and salt just until incorporated, then stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to use.

To make the pancakes: Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a medium bowl. In a large measuring cup, whisk the eggs, butter and milk together. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, and gently mix just until combined – the batter will be somewhat lumpy and thick.

{If you aren’t going to serve the pancakes until you’ve cooked all of them, preheat oven to 200 F. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray and set it inside a baking sheet then place the baking sheet in the oven.}

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet set over medium heat (you could use butter too if you’d rather). Once the oil starts shimmering, use paper towels to wipe the pan so only a thin, even coating of oil covers the bottom and sides. Use a 1/4 cup measure to portion the batter into the pan. Spread it into roughly a 4-inch circle. Drop about 5 marble-sized pieces of cookie dough over the surface of each pancake. Cook on the first side until the edges are set and bubbles form on the surface. Use a spatula to flip the pancakes and cook on the second side until cooked through. {If not serving immediately, transfer the pancakes to the wire rack in the oven.} Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to the pan if necessary.

Makes about 8 pancakes

~~~~~~~~~~

Tracey, Tracey, Tracey! Such kind words for me in your post, but I’m sure others would qualify my “organizational skills” as just pure annoyance.  :)

Tracey is also on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Remember to follow along with all the pancakes this month, just click on the picture below!

22 Responses to “Cookie Dough Pancakes”

1. Jeffrey — July 11, 2012 at 7:44 am

DANG!!

2. Kathryn — July 11, 2012 at 8:20 am

Oh I think I definitely could justify eating these for breakfast!

3. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — July 11, 2012 at 8:44 am

Oh. My. Goodness.

Tracey, I knew you were awesome but this just tops all. And I’m with Kathryn–I don’t need any justification to put these firmly on my “breakfast” list. I’ll stick some quinoa in lunch or dinner and call it a balanced day.

4. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — July 11, 2012 at 9:26 am

I know what i am making for breakfast!! I even have a few balls of left over cookie dough from something. Short of just eating it, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with just a couple. Now I know, and my son will love you!

5. Becca - cookie jar treats — July 11, 2012 at 9:37 am

These look so incredible! I love every single thing about this recipe and the pictures! I’m usually a simple cereal/oatmeal girl for breakfast, but this is tempting me too bad :P

6. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

Wow. I wish that this is what my breakfast looked like right now!

7. Megan {CountryCleaver} — July 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’ll take a tall stack, please. Like, now. o.O

8. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

This is my kind of breakfast!

9. amanda @ fake ginger — July 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

Oh goodness, these are too perfect! Tracey, you KILL me with everything you make.

10. Cassie — July 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Oh goodness, Tracey, these are just over the top perfection!

11. Ashley — July 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This needs to happen in my breakfast life very very soon.

12. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Cookies and chocolate for breakfast?! I’m in.

13. Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli — July 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Wow, these look absolutely incredible! And the photos have me seriously drooling right now! I just stumbled over Tracey’s blog and pinned just about every pancake recipe she has! As a self-proclaimed Pancake Queen, I love getting ideas/inspiration from fellow bloggers! I’ve been flippin’ my own for over a year now and I think I have finally mastered the art of a healthy AND fluffy stack of cakes. I just can’t decide what’s more fun…the add-ins or the add ONS!!

I LOVE your idea of the Pancake Party and CAN’T wait to see more! :D

14. Anna — July 11, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Everything I want for breakfast – in a pancake. Loooove it!

15. Julie @ Table for Two — July 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm

this is seriously so incredible. would loooove this any day for breakfast!

16. Baking Serendipity — July 11, 2012 at 8:22 pm

That extra cookie dough could get dangerous… :) Love these pancakes! And I’d definitely be alright with calling this breakfast.

17. Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Wow. This looks seriously perfect!

18. Emily @ Life on Food — July 15, 2012 at 11:39 am

I really cannot imagine the wonderfulness that are these pancakes. I am drooling right now.

19. Erika — July 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

I just made these last night and the chocolatey-ness of these pancakes are A-mazing. However, when I put my pieces of cookie dough in the batter, they tended to scorch the bottom when I flipped the pancakes over, even when I turned the heat down a bit. Are you supposed to really bury the cookie dough in the batter to keep this from happening?

20. Tracey — July 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Hi Erika – I’m glad you liked the pancakes! Sorry about the troubles you had with the cookie dough though. I didn’t bury my cookie dough in the batter at all and had no troubles with scorching, so I’m not sure how to advise you. I didn’t wind up needing to cook the pancakes very long on the second side (probably just a minute or two), so the only thing I can think of is that maybe you were cooking yours significantly longer than that?

1. Pingback: 14 Pancakes Worth Waking Up For | foodgio

2. Pingback: Mother's Day Brunch Recipes {Starbucks Verismo Giveaway!} - Rachel Cooks