Morning Glory Pancakes

Today’s pancakes are from Deborah of Taste and Tell.  Deborah is a super talented blogger and I swear, a ball of energy! She posts so frequently, and all over the web, too! And she’s pregnant. I honestly do not know how she does it.  I especially love her feature called “Blogger Spotlight” where I get to learn more about my favorite bloggers. It is similar to my “a day in the life” series. She even featured me! It was so fun and I was so honored.

To get a feel for all of Deborah’s great content, check out these posts: Red Velvet Cheese Ball24 Ways to Use Shredded ChickenPeanut Butter, Chocolate and Cashew Popcorn and Chicken Caesar Kabobs.

~~~~~~~~~~

Since I was little, I always loved breakfast. I was spoiled with breakfast, too. I was lucky enough to have my mom as a stay at home mom for most of my childhood, and we had 3 homemade meals every day. 6 days a week, we had a hot breakfast. The only day we were able to eat cold cereal was on Saturday morning, where we were allowed to get up as early as we wanted, get ourselves cold cereal for breakfast, and watch Saturday morning cartoons. But every other morning of the week, it was cream of wheat, or eggs, or pancakes.

My mom makes the best pancakes. She never really went away from the normal pancakes, but she made this delicious lemon sauce that was always my favorite. I always looked forward to pancake mornings – I think that was always my favorite!!

Today, I still love pancakes. I tend to branch out a little more – everything from Strawberry Pancakes to Corn Cake Pancakes to S’mores Pancakes, but regardless of if they are regular Buttermilk Pancakes or something a little more creative, I love them all.

My other true breakfast love is muffins. I can’t get enough of them. So it was only natural for me to combine one of my favorite muffins – Morning Glory Muffins – with pancakes.

These Morning Glory Pancakes are chock full of all kinds of goodness – apples, carrots, coconut, raisins. My husband called them “kitchen sink pancakes” because really, they are full of pretty much everything. But I think they are the perfect combination of flavors. A little bit sweet, but not over the top. And perfect for breakfast. I could happily enjoy pancakes like this for breakfast on a regular basis!!

Morning Glory Pancakes

makes 14-16 pancakes

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
1 ½ cups milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ cups grated carrot
½ cup grated apple
½ cup raisins
½ cup coconut

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk and vegetable oil. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until combined. Add in the carrot, apple, raisins and coconut. Stir just until combined.

In another bowl, whip the egg whites until they have stiff peaks. Lightly fold into the pancake batter.

Heat a griddle over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup of the pancake batter to the griddle and cook until the edges are browned and the batter is bubbling. Flip and cook until the second side is browned. Continue with the remaining batter.

Serve with maple syrup.

~~~~~~~~~~

These pancakes look so hearty and delicious.

You guys can all find more of Deborah on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Remember to follow along with all the pancakes this month, just click on the picture below!

18 Responses to “Morning Glory Pancakes”

1. Kathryn — July 6, 2012 at 7:25 am

I definitely think that a plate of these would start my day off right!

2. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — July 6, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’ve never seen pancakes stuffed with so much ‘stuff’ ! They look great and now I want some for breakfast.

3. Madeleine — July 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

Morning glory muffins are my fave too! Love these, they look great!

4. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — July 6, 2012 at 7:57 am

Yum! Definitely adding these to my pancake rotation!

5. kelley {mountain mama cooks} — July 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love deb and I love these pancakes. It would be a stretch to get my hubby and kids to eat these but I would happily gobble them up!

6. Jeffrey — July 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

This ingredient list looks like it would work for me but the pictures are what sells them. They look so light and fluffy.

7. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

These really are chockfull of the good stuff!

8. Deborah — July 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks for having me, Rachel! I’m loving pancake month, and am so happy I could play along!

9. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — July 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

What a cool idea! I’ve never seen such a stuffed pancake either…and full of really healthy things, too. Yum!

10. Cassie — July 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

These are fabulous, Deborah! I love all of the ingredients – and that your husband calls them “kitchen sink” pancakes!

11. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love muffins for breakfast too, these sound great :)

12. Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — July 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

I haven’t tried Morning Glory Muffins yet, but now I think I need to try both. They sound fantastic.

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm

great story-telling, Deborah – and your mom sounds amazing :)

perfect pancakes, too!

14. amanda @ fake ginger — July 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I totally love this idea! I used to make morning glory waffles but it never crossed my mind to make pancakes! I hope I have all the ingredients to make them this weekend!

15. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Now that sounds like a glorious breakfast! I love the coconut and carrots addition. Yum!

16. Nutmeg Nanny — July 10, 2012 at 12:43 am

Oh yeah! I would totally eat a huge plate of these pancakes!

17. Emma — February 24, 2014 at 9:15 am

Love this idea! I am going to try and adapt them to use oats instead of flour… we will see how it goes! Thank you for posting :)

1. Pingback: Morning Glory Pancakes - and 9 more pancake links |