Granola with Pecans and Almonds

by Rachel Gurk on March 5, 2012 · 34 comments

in Appetizers/Snacks, Breakfast

I’ve taken a few months off from the Secret Recipe Club (SRC) but am finally participating again! The SRC is always a good way to push me to try something different or expose me to great new recipes. I made sure to get my recipe done far in advance since life has been nuts lately.

Almost as nutty as this granola.

I’ve been looking for a good granola recipe that I could tweak and add to, and I found just that on Holly’s site, Phemomenon. She has tons of great recipes so it was, as always, a tough decision.

This granola is spot-on. I had to make some changes on Holly’s original recipe because all I had were quick-oats, but it still turned out great. I love that Holly gives a general guideline or outline for the granola so you can customize it any way you like. I can’t wait to add some dried cherries or….oh I don’t know…chocolate chips?!? I could think of a hundred different add-ins. I see a “Granola Week” in the future!

Granola with Pecans and Almonds

3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2 cup raw pecans, chopped
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
1 tablespoon ground flax-seed

6 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment or Silpat. In a large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, pecans, coconut, salt, brown sugar, wheat germ and ground flax.
2. In separate small microwavable bowl, stir together honey, canola oil, cinnamon and vanilla. Heat in microwave for 45 seconds on 50% power.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until everything is well coated.
4. Spread granola in an even layer over the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then bake for 15-20 minutes longer until golden brown.
5. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally to break up chunks.
6. Store in airtight container. Makes approximately 5 cups.

Verdict: This was delicious granola and I will definitely be making it again.
Husband’s take: He didn’t try it. He’s not so much a granola guy.
Changes I would make: If I had whole rolled oats I’d probably use those instead of the quick oats. It would probably have a slightly better texture and hold up better if you eat it with milk.
Difficulty: Easy!

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kim | At Home With Kim March 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I am a granola lover. I could eat it everyday. It’s fun to see everyone’s tweaks to it…. and this sounds so good!

2 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray March 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Ohhh, yes, granola week!! That would be fabulous. :) Great post!

3 the wicked noodle March 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I make homemade granola all the time. It’s so perfect for a quick breakfast and I love making yogurt parfaits with it. Love the sound of your version!

4 Lesa @Edesia's Notebook March 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Mmm, I love your idea of the cherries and chocolate chips, but it looks great as-is too. Great SRC pick!

5 Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef March 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

granola is the best! :) great SRC pick. it was fun baking from your blog this month, so i’m glad you were in the mix!

6 Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Delicious! I love granola :D I was thinking of putting shredded coconut to it too hehe ~

7 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) March 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Granola is such a great choice! I love your pictures too. :-)

8 Rachel March 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thank you!

9 Melanie March 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I love a good crunchy granola. Add pecans and I’m in heaven!

10 Rachel March 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The pecans are for sure the best part :)

11 Melissa@IWasBornToCook March 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

We love homemade granola in this house! This looks great.

12 Cassie March 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Loving this granola Rachel! I am a huge fan of homemade granola!

13 Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama March 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm

We love granola here! My hubby eats it almost every day and it is very similar to this recipe. Love the granola in the jar pic!

14 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I have yet to make my own granola! This looks like a great base recipe though!

15 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm

This sounds lovely! I need to try this!

16 Geni March 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Looks yummy! I haven’t made my own yet, but this one may convince me!

17 sally @ sallys baking addiction March 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Rachel, i’m always on the hunt for new granola recipes! yours looks so simple and wholesome. i just made apple cinnamon granola over the weekend. i’m a self proclaimed granola-nut :)

18 Krista March 5, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I’m so excited you got Holly’s site! She is just a fabulous person in and out of the kitchen. Granola is one of my favorites and yours looks great!

19 Holly March 5, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I seriously LOVE that you chose my granola recipe! I agree that it is better with the rolled oats (thicker the better in my opinion). I’ve even changed it up more since then and need to post an update because we like the new version even better. We always eat ours with chocolate chips (my boys eat it with yogurt every morning for breakfast). Your pictures are gorgeous!

20 Rachel March 6, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thanks Holly! I loved exploring your blog :)

21 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies March 6, 2012 at 2:26 am

Homemade is always better than storebought any day.

22 Julia March 6, 2012 at 7:40 am

I LOVE heaps of homemade granola on fro yo or ice cream. This stuff looks perfect for that… Im tempted to go make some right now, before 5 am.

23 Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} March 6, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I too love homemade granola. I started making my own granola about a year ago. Now, I’m addicted. I think I’m going to make some right now! lol Have a great day! :)

24 shelly (cookies and cups) March 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I love the idea of homemade granola…I need to make a huge batch to keep on hand.

25 CulinarilyCourtney March 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Granola is seriously on my list of favorite things to make. Your recipe here looks delightful!

26 Lisa March 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I could eat my weight in granola, and this certainly looks like a recipe that could bring that to fruition. Gorgeous photos and great SRC choice!

27 Tracey March 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I was just thinking I need to make some granola and then lo and behold your post popped up in my Reader. Good timing :) It looks great!

28 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies March 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I keep meaning to make my own granola, and this looks like a fabulous place to start. Your photos are gorgeous, Rachel.

29 Tessa March 7, 2012 at 12:46 am

My husband devours granola in this house, so I am always on the lookout for ways to make it just a little different. Great pick!

30 Lisa~~ March 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Homemade granola is always so wonderful but I eat way too much so I have to avoid making it but you sure have me craving it.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

31 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 14, 2012 at 1:07 am

I am a hardcore granola lover. It’s seriously the best snack in the world. And the best part about making granola is how customizable it is. Although I wouldn’t change your recipe at all. Can’t wait to give this a try!

32 Saya March 14, 2012 at 7:11 am

Yumeeee – this looks So yummy, sweet and crunchy

33 Melissa Klotz March 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm

What a pretty jar!

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 1 trackback }