Salted Peanut and Caramel Banana Bread {Guest Post}

I have another GREAT week of guest posts for you guys. My family and I really appreciate all of your prayers, support, and encouragement. My father-in-law is doing great and making improvements every day. When I’m not at the hospital or a hotel, I’m either frantically trying to get laundry done or just playing with my baby. I can’t even explain how much I’ve appreciated everyone stepping up to help me with guest posts so my blog doesn’t get dusty. Make sure you check out Amanda’s blog, Fake Ginger. She has great food, beautiful pictures and she is a posting-machine! You’ll find tons of recipes on her site. Also, you can find her Facebooking, Tweeting, and Pinning! Thanks again, Amanda–this looks SO delicious!

________________________________________

Hey y’all! I’m Amanda and I blog over at Fake Ginger. Rachel and I have quite a bit in common – we’re both moms to tiny ones, we’re both married to military men, and you know, that whole food-obsessed thing – so I was pretty excited when she asked me to take over her blog for a day.

This Salted Peanut and Caramel Banana Bread is every bit as amazing as it sounds. Can you really go wrong with peanuts, caramel, coconut and bananas? Nope, definitely not. The texture of this bread is awesome, especially since there’s an extra layer of all the goodies on the bottom. Plus, you get the top it with even more caramel!

If you wanted to do this in loaf pans instead of a bundt, use 2 9×5-inch pans and bake them the same length of time.

Salted Peanut and Caramel Banana Bread
adapted from The Costco Connection

For the Banana Bread:
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅓ cup plain yogurt
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
⅔ cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup caramel or butterscotch chips

For the Salted Peanut Caramel Layer:
¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut
½ cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
¼ cup caramel or butterscotch chips
2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping

For the Caramel Topping:
½ cup caramel ice cream topping
½ cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and mashed bananas, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate everything.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating only until everything is combined. Fold in the coconut, peanuts, and caramel or butterscotch chips. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan; use a rubber spatula to smooth it out.

To make the Salted Caramel Peanut Layer:
Mix together the coconut, peanuts, and caramel or butterscotch chips. Sprinkle that over top of the batter. Drizzle the caramel ice cream topping on top.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes. or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a wire rack.

To make the Caramel Topping:
Warm the caramel ice cream topping over low heat. Stir in peanuts. Drizzle over warm cake before cutting.

35 Responses to “Salted Peanut and Caramel Banana Bread {Guest Post}”

1. Kathryn — February 13, 2012 at 7:09 am

Such a great guest post, this really takes banana bread over the edge of deliciousness!

2. raquel@eRecipe.com — February 13, 2012 at 7:25 am

Drool worthy recipe! =) It looks very yummy… I want to try this.

3. Blog is the New Black — February 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

GREAT recipe, Amanda!

4. Smart Food and Fit — February 13, 2012 at 7:56 am

Mmm, this looks like a great dessert for tonight! Glad to hear your father-in-law is doing well!

• Rachel — February 13th, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Thank you!

5. nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — February 13, 2012 at 8:17 am

looks so good.

Hope your father in law continues to do well.

• Rachel — February 13th, 2012 @ 8:25 am

6. Julie @ Table for Two — February 13, 2012 at 8:39 am

Ohhh this sounds so good!! :) Great guest post, Amanda. I love when my bloggie friends team up! I hope improvements continue with your father in law! <3

7. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — February 13, 2012 at 9:16 am

This looks fantastic.

8. Mal @ The Chic Geek — February 13, 2012 at 10:34 am

oh wow, this sounds so incredibly amazing!

9. Rolling Pin Claire — February 13, 2012 at 10:42 am

Would never have thought of putting caramel, peanuts and banana bread together – I know now!

10. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 13, 2012 at 10:46 am

Banana bread AND caramel sauce…two faves of mine, all in one!

11. nat@thesweetslife — February 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

so glad to hear things are improving rachel!!

and thank you amanda for the awesome recipe :)

12. Karriann — February 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’d love to have a bite of that!

“Happy Cooking”

13. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers — February 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Oh yum! that looks fabulous. thanks for sharing!

14. Claire @ Claire K Creations — February 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Oh boy it really is taking banana bread to a whole new level. You’ve got me thinking of variations already. Yum!

15. Jenni — February 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Wow, that sounds like an Excellent plan!! Best to your FIL. I do hope he’s on the mend.

16. Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

So glad to hear your father in law is doing better!!

17. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This sounds so yummy!

18. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 14, 2012 at 12:02 am

Never thought about banana bread like this, looks fantastic!

19. Krissy's Creations — February 14, 2012 at 12:44 am

Great Guest Post! And it’s great to hear your Father-in-Law is doing better :)

20. Erin — February 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

Wow, so many things going on in this bead and I love it all!

21. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos — February 14, 2012 at 10:13 am

This looks utterly divine!

22. Feast on the Cheap — February 14, 2012 at 10:35 am

What a treat (and what a tease). I am drooling over here!

23. AikoVenus — February 14, 2012 at 11:27 am

These pictures look so fantastic – this guest post takes a wonderful take on “kid’s” food and makes it just a tinge more mature but still great for everyone. ^^

24. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — February 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Seriously amazing!! YUM!

25. Geni — February 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

This look ridiculously delicious! So delicious and rich, dripping with goodness. I am so happy your Father-in-law is making progress. So sorry you all are having to go through this. I can’t imagine how tough it must be for your hubby and also for you, trying to entertain your kiddo on the ‘road’.

26. DessertForTwo — February 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Salt.Peanut.Carmael. I died. And woke up covered in drool. Love this!

27. Baking Serendipity — February 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Love this guest post and banana bread recipe! Glad to hear your father in law is doing well, Rachel :)

28. Veronica — February 15, 2012 at 4:11 am

Glad to hear about your FIL, Rachael, and Amanda, this bread is rockin my sox off. Seriously.

29. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Oh my this looks amazing!!! I totally need to get a bunt pan and make this!!

30. Gina White — March 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’m not sure if this is a question for Amanda since she is the guest-poster, but I saw this in the Costco Connection also. The first time I tried it I used 2 loaf pans, but the topping burned and I ended up pulling it out before it was done since it was ruined. I just tried again in a bundt pan, adding the topping (minus the caramel syrup since I wondered if this caused the burn)about 30 minutes in, and while it worked, the coconut was still starting to scorch. Have you had any issues with this? I love the idea of this recipe, but am still tweaking it and thought maybe you might know from experience (and can save me some time and aggravation:-)

• Rachel — March 2nd, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I’m letting Amanda know about this, so check back soon for a reply!

• amanda @ fake ginger — March 2nd, 2012 @ 9:05 am

I didn’t have any issues with it burning but I accidentally mixed the caramel into the topping mixture so my coconut was moist – I think if it had been completely dry (or dry in spots) it would’ve burned just because dry coconut can’t be in the oven that long without burning, you know? It’s impossible.

If you wanted, you could try putting the topping on the bottom of the bundt pan – that way the coconut isn’t exposed to direct heat. It would still be delicious and would look just as pretty with all the toppings on top.

• Gina White — March 2nd, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Wonderful, thanks for getting back to me!