Build A Better Me

It is 2012. So hard to believe. (Yes, I know it’s been 2012 for nine days. I’m a little slow–what are you going to do?) Every year begins with a resolution for many people. Our Virtual Potluck crew decided that we would kick off a new project called “Build a Better Me” in order to stay focused on eating healthy ALL YEAR. No specific requirements or scheduled posts, just a group of bloggers committed to improving the way they eat and live.

For some, this might mean losing weight. For others, it may not. We want to focus on putting healthy, nutritious foods into our bodies.

Don’t worry. There will still be cookies. And cake. And chocolate.

Lots of chocolate.

Oh and bacon. And probably definitely frosting.

We’re kicking off our project this month but you’ll be seeing this logo again along with some giveaways (as always) and some helpful tips for eating healthy. And since I’m a physical therapist, I might throw in an exercise post here and there. (Would y’all be interested in that?)

Also, feel free to grab the logo and join us! Send any of us your links and we’ll be happy to share them. Here are some of my health-related goals for the upcoming year (and every year for that matter):

1. Drink less the same amount of (let’s be realistic here) coffee and much more water.
  2. Eat fruits and vegetables at every meal. Including breakfast.
  3. Be better about eating in moderation. One cookie–then send the rest off to work with hubs.
  4. Exercise more. MUST. DO. THIS.
  5. Eat less meat. I’m far from a vegetarian and hubs is really, really, really, really far from vegetarian, but I would like to eat less meat. Just to give it a try to see how I feel. It also gives me a new cooking challenge because I’ll still be making meaty meals for hubs so it will be fun to see how I can make two different meals out of the same general concept.

What are your goals for the year?

Here are the other Virtual Potluck peeps participating–follow along for healthy recipes and tips. Don’t forget you can also keep up with Virtual Potluck on Twitter and Facebook.

Theresa from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Heather from Farm Girl Gourmet
Shelby from Diabetic Foodie
Matt from Thyme in our Kitchen
Milisa from Miss in the Kitchen
Marnely from Cooking with Books
Donna from Cookistry
Vanessa from Groovy Foody
Susan from 30AEats

Don’t forget to check out Katrina’s cookies that she is sharing here today. She says they’re healthy because they don’t have frosting. I’ll buy that reasoning!

20 Responses to “Build A Better Me”

1. Alexis @ There She Goes — January 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm

these are great healthy goals for 2012! i like the coffee one – i think i can handle the same amount of caffeine in the new year :)

2. the wicked noodle — January 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

This sounds like a super fun blogging challenge! Good luck and have fun with it!

3. Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — January 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Good luck w/ the challenge. Can’t wait to see what you come up with. Last year, I cut back on eating chips & eat fruit & nuts for snack instead & it’s definitely helped me out. So this year, I’ll stick with that. Definitely not a big red meat fan & I’ve cut caffeine from my diet. So far so good, let’s see if it stays that way when I go back to work!

4. Deanna — January 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm

What a great idea! A few years ago I decided to cut down on my diet coke consumption (6 a day was far too many), then I just cut it out completely. I did add coffee to replace it, but I drink it black so I’m not too worried. I would love to see workouts, especially ones that can be done at home since I hate the gym.

• Rachel — January 9th, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

I drink it black too :) I just don’t drink enough water when I’m always sipping on coffee. Definitely not giving it up though!

5. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — January 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’d be interested to see how you make meals vegetarian, I’m not a big red meat fan and get tired of chicken and pork!

• Rachel — January 9th, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

I could hardly eat any meat when I was pregnant–it made me so sick. How are you feeling?

6. Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama — January 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Looks good! We have some of the same goals. I definitely need to drink more water and want to increase the number of fruits and veggies too. I am on day 5 of no (well, not totally no!) sugar and definitely feel less sluggish in the mid-day. I know where you might find some good meatless recipes :)

Oh, and hubby’s Dr was Dr Papak(something Greek sounding). Rochester Orthopedics. I was glad we were able to get it in this year, deductible and all.

7. Lauren — January 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I’m trying to eat less meat too! It’s amazing how healthier my diet gets when I cut out meat!

8. Lisa — January 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Great realistic goals. I’m following the 28 day action plan by Whole Living magazine. I’m a nutritionist and I’m posting this whole month geared toward clean food for my clients to give them ideas on what to eat and what to feed their family. Look forward to reading everyone’s posts!

• Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama — January 12th, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I did that Whole Living plan last year. It was great and my husband and I usually do a version of it every 6 months or so. We are due for another!

9. Maris (In Good Taste) — January 10, 2012 at 5:25 am

This is such a worthwhile and fun project!

10. Jennifer | Mother Thyme — January 10, 2012 at 9:33 am

This is a wonderful challenge! After indulging during the holidays we are getting back on track too making healthy food choices and eating better. Build A Better Me is a great motivator!

11. Katherine Martinelli — January 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

What a great idea! I definitely want to eat healthier and definitely need to exercise more!

12. kelley {mountain mama cooks} — January 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Couldn’t we all use to drink a little more water, a little less coffee and break a sweat more often? I’m not giving up bacon or frosting though. Never.

13. Bree — January 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Great idea!

14. Kitchen Belleicious — January 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

good luck with the challenge. I know you can do it and I am looking forward to yummy recipes because of it!

15. Natasha — January 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm

What a great idea! The world could use a few more healthy food blogs. Check mine out if you’re looking for added motivation. ;)

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat Pasta and White Beans with Broccoli Pesto | Not Rachael Ray

2. Pingback: Kahlua-Cinnamon Brownies - Rachel Cooks