Very Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Remember the Spiked Irish Cream Buttercream that I made the other day? I made this the same day. I was having a buttercream party. For one.

I highly recommend you do the same.

Sharing is good too though. I guess.

Also, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed…but I’ve been a little obsessed with vanilla beans lately.

Okay, a lot obsessed.

I might have even thanked God for them on Thanksgiving. Don’t judge.

I think I like this buttercream even better (gasp!) than its spiked sister. Maybe that has to do with the vanilla bean obsession. This version isn’t quite as sweet as the Irish cream frosting either–it is a more delicate muted flavor.

I made a special heart-shaped cookie for my hubs. Wife of the year award goes to me, right? Okay–this is store-bought dough, I better not get crazy. I just cut off a round and then shaved off some from the sides and from the middle to make it a heart. Maybe I just wanted to eat some of the raw dough. Maybe I’m not wife of the year. Maybe my husband can’t tell the difference between a store-bought cookie and a homemade cookie. Maybe I’m BUSY! Let’s be real though:

This.

Is.

About.

The.

Frosting.

Who cares if the vessel is store-bought? Or made of metal. (I’m talking about a spoon, people!)

Very Vanilla Buttercream

1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
the seeds of two vanilla beans
2 tablespoons milk or cream
3-4 cups powdered sugar

1. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, vanilla, milk and vanilla beans.
2. One cup at a time, add in powdered sugar until you achieve desired consistency. You’ll want it a little stiffer/thicker for piping (mine was a little soft to hold its exact shape after piping).

Verdict: Amazing. Love this stuff. If I could live on it and not get fat and not die–I totally would.
Husband’s take: He liked this better than the Irish cream version too. But don’t get confused–that stuff rocked too. He’s a traditionalist though. Which is why I frosted the heart-shaped cookie with the vanilla frosting. I knew it would be his favorite. Now can I get that “Wife of the Year” award?
Changes I would make: None!
Difficulty: Easssssssy!

35 Responses to “Very Vanilla Buttercream Frosting”

1. Kathryn — November 30, 2011 at 6:24 am

Vanilla is one of my all time favourite flavours – I love the little flecks of vanilla bean!

2. Alexis @ There She Goes — November 30, 2011 at 6:32 am

perfect! i was planning on making cupcakes tmrw and I’m totally going to use this icing recipe!

3. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — November 30, 2011 at 6:54 am

I love this buttercream. Could you pipe some right into my mouth? I don’t even need the cookies. Just the frosting please! :)

• Rachel — December 2nd, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I am with you on that 100%! :)

4. Michelle Jaffee — November 30, 2011 at 7:26 am

Oh how lovely! Vanilla buttercream. *sigh

5. raquel — November 30, 2011 at 7:31 am

Just making blog tripping when I my catch one of your recipe, I like making cookies muffin and cakes and this one I would love to try it and I know that is great for the holidays.

6. Julie @ Table for Two — November 30, 2011 at 7:46 am

I love that you can see the vanilla beans in the frosting. This looks yummy and easy enough to make to put on some sugar cookies for Christmas time :)

7. Bev Weidner — November 30, 2011 at 7:59 am

I wonder if I could use that frosting as a facial moisturizer.

8. Nelly Rodriguez — November 30, 2011 at 8:30 am

Mmmhm, frosting. You are so funny Rachel! I was like….vessel of metal and then duh, visions of me scooping out Nutella with a spoon. Yeah, ahem…in my dreams of course ;) Love it and love your addiction to vanilla beans!

9. Kitchen Belleicious — November 30, 2011 at 9:19 am

okay this is definitely going on my annual christmas cookies in the next 2 weeks. It looks too good not to try and I love the little hints of vanilla bits sprinkled throughout! AMAZING

10. Leslie Means @ Her View From Home — November 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

I want some RIGHT. NOW. With my coffee. While I’m at work. Yes, I’m checking your blog at work. :) Oops!!

11. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — November 30, 2011 at 11:49 am

Sounds absolutely fantastic! Shocking it’s better than a spiked version too but vanilla does have a pretty amazing taste.

12. jackie @ marin mama cooks — November 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Ok, I just loooove your photo’s of the cookies with the milk jug and the adorable straws. I am going to have to get some of those straws for the kids. They look so fun!

Those cookies look so pro and yummy! We just whipped up a batch of black forest cookies to share and eat and my kid’s won’t let them out the door!

I’m going to add this recipe to my Holiday cookie share list.

• Rachel — December 2nd, 2011 @ 7:28 am

Thanks! Black forest cookies sound great!

13. The Elegant Eggplant — November 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I want to have a buttercream party for one!! That sounds like SO much fun :)

• Rachel — December 2nd, 2011 @ 7:28 am

I think it is a requirement. Do it this weekend :)

14. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — November 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I have a TON of vanilla beans leftover from making vanilla extract and I love this frosting! I make buttercream frosting a lot (maybe to much) so I am definitely trying this on my next batch! Thanks for the idea! :)

15. Kristen — November 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Those little specs of vanilla bean make me want to lick that right off the cookie. Yum!
    Lucky hubby!

16. Jessica @ How Sweet — November 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’m obsessed with vanilla beans too! Love!

17. Taylor — December 1, 2011 at 7:42 am

I love love love the specks of the vanilla bean in the frosting! I wish I had a big spoonful of this right now :)

18. Lisa — December 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

I love all the specks in this frosting! I made something similar with vanilla bean paste for my sons birthday cupcakes.

19. Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama — December 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Ok, I have never used a real vanilla bean. I know, I know. There should be a support group, right? I absolutely love buttercream and I love your pics in this post!
    The glass milk bottle with straws is so cute!

• Rachel — December 2nd, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I’m fairly new to vanilla beans too, but now I can’t get enough! (The glass bottle is an old Starbucks Frappucino bottle!)

20. Dana — December 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Mmm this sounds fantastic! Who cares about the cookie when you have delicious homemade frosting like this!

21. Geni — December 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

The buttercream sounds fab and I love the little flecks of the vanilla bean in it. Kinda of rustic and beautiful. Your piping is really good…so jealous. Where on earth did you get those adorable pink and black straws? They are irresistible! You are still wife of the year if you baked any cookies for the hubs AND decorated them with your homemade vanilla bean butter cream. Mmmmm.

22. Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook — December 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Favorited this one in my RSS for near future reference – these pictures look too fantastic. Loving the little specks of vanilla bean in the frosting.

I have to tell you I had a buttercream frosting party for one as well. It was over the summer and by accident. I misread (can I blame it on having a newborn?) and made about 6 or 7 cups of strawberry buttercream frosting. Ugh! Half of its still in my freezer ;)

23. Karriann Graf — December 2, 2011 at 6:00 pm

These look so yummy Rachel! Love all the black specks in your frosting.

Happy Baking!

24. Melanie @ Melanie Cooks — December 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

The frosting with REAL vanilla beans must be so delicious!

25. Brooke (Baking with Basil) — December 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm

You are killing me with these fluffy frosting recipes!!

26. Nutmeg Nanny — December 6, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Can you please send me some of this? Pretty please!

1. Pingback: Cinnamon-Vanilla Bread with Tahitian Vanilla Bean Whipped Butter | Not Rachael Ray

2. Pingback: Orange Creamsicle Buttercream with Vanilla Beans {+giveaway} | Not Rachael Ray

3. Pingback: Vanilla Bean Cookie Bars - Rachel Cooks