Things I’ve Been Making Lately

Every so often, I like to do a quick post about things from other blogs that I’ve made recently. If I drastically change the recipe, I’ll give it the honor of its own post. However, these are the things that I barely change, or that I quickly make for dinner one night and don’t take the time to get a good photo of.

Keep in mind that I’ve made these over the span of at least a month. So I’m not enchilada obsessed.

Okay, maybe I am a little–but we don’t eat enchiladas in different forms for a whole entire week straight.

Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti from How Sweet It Is

Verdict: Loved, loved, loved this. Fun and creative, and SO delicious.
Hubby’s take: He loved it! I was a little leery because it was sort of “different,” but we was all over it!
Changes I made: I didn’t have enchilada sauce, so I made my own. I also didn’t have any green bell peppers so I used all red. I also didn’t have any cilantro (I was avoiding the grocery store like the plague) so I topped it with homemade crispy tortilla strips (baked) and chopped avocado. These topping were delicious, but the cilantro would be great too to cut through some of the richness of this dish.
Difficulty: Easy!

Enchilada Casserole from Taste and Tell

Verdict: Great! An easy take on an enchilada makes for a quick meal on a busy night.
Hubby’s take: He chowed it down!
Changes I made: I made it in two 8×8 pans instead of the 9×13. I also used ground turkey instead of ground beef. I might have made a few other small tweaks, but I can’t remember. Oh yeah! I added chopped spinach. I know–kind of weird, but I add it to everything.
Difficulty: Easy!

Healthy Deep Dish Cookie from Chocolate Covered Katie

Verdict: Oh my. I was skeptical at first–beans in a cookie? So good. So, so, so good. Plus it is packed full of fiber and protein so you can totally get away with eating it for breakfast.
Hubby’s take: Honestly, I was surprised he even tried it. I wanted to have him try it before I told him what it had in it–but he doesn’t so much go for that idea. He tried it though–and he really liked it! I think he is even going to take the leftovers to work.
Changes I made: None. If you’re interested, I used one can of garbanzos and one can of northern beans.
Difficulty: Easy!

Pumpkin Coffee Cake from Tasty Kitchen

Verdict:  Oh my. Amazing. Especially with the necessary change I had to make. The original recipe sounds fabulous too–but the caramel sauce I added took it over the top.
Hubby’s take: Loved it! I don’t know how anyone could not love this.
Changes I made: I ran out of brown sugar. (I know! How does that happen?) I didn’t have enough to make the brown sugar glaze so I topped it with this caramel. Rum and all. Perfection!
Difficulty: Easy–it starts with a cake mix!

Honey Sesame Pork Tenderloin from Jane Deere

Verdict:  This is seriously good. It has the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. I’ve made it two or three times.
Hubby’s take: Coming from a guy who doesn’t love pork (but changes his mind every time I made pork), he loves this. Probably one of his favorite pork recipes.
Changes I made: Nada.
Difficulty: Easy to moderate. But pretty easy. Plan ahead and marinate overnight–you’ll be glad! And give the glaze plenty of time to thicken up so it really clings to the meat.

I should add to this list that I still make this salad frequently. Very frequently.

What have you been cooking or baking lately? Have you used up your Thanksgiving left overs yet?

24 Responses to “Things I’ve Been Making Lately”

1. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — November 28, 2011 at 7:42 am

I might steal this roundup idea from you. All your enchilada dinners look so good!

2. Julie @ Table for Two — November 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

Um, you know the way to my heart. I’ve been having dying cravings for mexican as of late and the enchilada casserole & pasta are such winners right now. I’d love to make this one night this week. Yum yum yum. Thanks for sharing :) :)

• Rachel — November 28th, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Let me know how you like it! I’m tempted to make it again, soon!

3. diabeticFoodie — November 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

Made turkey lentil soup yesterday w/my carcass. Also made a Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Salad w/Mustard Maple dressing from @twopeasandpod – it was to die for!

4. Kitchen Belleicious — November 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

we are obsessed with all things enchiladas and that pasta is calling my name! Awesome

5. Bev Weidner — November 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’ve been wanting to inhale that inchi spagh for FOREVER now. This seals the deal.

• Bev Weidner — November 28th, 2011 @ 11:01 am

I mean, ENCHI. (it’s monday)

6. Mal @ The Chic Geek — November 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

that enchilada spaghetti looks so yummy! I’ll have to try that out soon, I’m sure my husband would love it, esp w/ avocado!

7. Alexis @ There She Goes — November 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm

i’ve been meaning to make a veggie version of that spaghetti- i’m glad you guys liked it!

8. Lindsay @ biking before bed — November 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I made Katie’s deep dish chocolate chip cookie too. I sent it to work with my boyfriend for his birthday. I was nervous about people’s reactions but he said that all of his male meat loving co-workers gobbled it up in a flash.

9. Jessica @ How Sweet — November 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

so glad you liked the pasta!!

10. Bree — November 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Love this idea! The Enchilada bake looks awesome!

11. Caroline — November 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm

You chose some delicious recipes to make…everything looks fantastic! I’m loving the chicken enchilada spaghetti. So, so clever! x

12. Deborah — November 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm

So glad you liked the enchilada casserole! Everything sounds so good – I’m off to check out some links!

13. Claire @ Claire K Creations — November 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

By strange coincidence I’m making enchiladas for dinner tonight! That spaghetti looks very interesting I’ll definitely be giving it a go.

14. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — November 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

I love all these delicious recipes you have tried lately! Definitely adding these to my must try list now too! :)

15. Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — November 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Oooh love those two enchilada recipes. Mexican is on our menu at least once a week. Especially loving the first picture, the Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti with those chunks of fresh avocado. om nom nom :)

16. Geni — November 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm

All of this looks so good. I am very jealous since my stove/oven is sitting in my entry way at the moment just begging to be re-installed.

17. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — November 29, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I love all the blogs that you made things from…YUM! You’ve been hard at work. Can I come eat the leftovers? :)

18. Baking Serendipity — November 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I manage to run out of brown sugar more often than I should even admit. Your adaptation was perfect though! I like what you’ve been eating :)

19. sherri lynn @ life of a wife — November 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

The cookie with the beans is intriguing! I’ve heard of beans in brownies but never in cookies. I’ll have to try it!

20. natalie (the sweets life) — November 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

i love these posts–its always fun to see what other people are making and enjoying!!

21. Jennifer @ Jane Deere — November 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for adding my Honey Sesame Pork Tenderloin to your roundup! So glad you and your hubby liked it…it’s a big hit in our family!

22. Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama — December 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I love enchiladas too. In fact, we are having a version for dinner tonight. I made a recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie with beans in it too and was pleasantly surprised!