Chicken Enchiladas Verde

Somehow the busiest month of the year (in real life) also turned out to be the busiest blog month so far. Craziness. Good stuff though: TWO birthday parties for my daughter’s first birthday, football games, festivals, guest posts, Emeril blogging party, trips out of town, working, and more! Whew! Thank goodness busy is good for the most part. (Except the school events that take my hubby away far too often. Blech. That’s the bad part of September.)

The Secret Recipe Club sneaks up on me every month, and sure enough, it is that time again! If you haven’t heard of the Secret Recipe Club, make sure to check it out and join us next month. It is a great way to get exposure to great new food blogs. So far I’ve made Asian Grilled Chicken, Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Grape Sauce, and Zucchini Pancakes. I love trying new things, so I love being a member of the Secret Recipe Club.

This month I was assigned to Kristine’s Kitchen. If you haven’t been to Kristine’s blog (or even if you have), head on over there and take a look. It is full of great recipes and beautiful photos. Kristine is a young mom, so we also have that in common. We both like meals that come together quickly and easily. This month I chose to make her Spicy Chicken Enchiladas Verde. I’ve had some store-bought salsa verde in the cupboard for awhile now and had been meaning to use it but hadn’t gotten around to it. So when I found this recipe, I knew I had found a winner!

My pictures don’t really do this dish justice. Apparently it is monsoon season in Michigan and doesn’t want to stop raining. So the natural light….well…is non-existent.

I made a few changes to Kristine’s recipe. I used flour tortillas because it is what I had, she used corn. I think either choice would make for delicious enchiladas! I also sautéed the onions and threw them in with the filling. She sprinkled her onions on top in the last five minutes of baking. We’re not huge on raw onions, so I wanted to make sure they were fully cooked and integrated, or hubs would stay far away from this. This dish came out just how I wanted it to. It was easy and delicious. Enjoy!

Chicken Enchiladas Verde
Adapted from Kristine’s Kitchen, originally from Perfect One-Dish Dinners by Pam Anderson

3 cups shredded cooked chicken (I poached mine, rotisserie would work great too!)
2 cups (16 oz.) store-bought salsa verde, divided
16 oz. grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided (I didn’t use quite this much)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
salt and pepper to taste
8-10 flour tortillas
1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
Sour cream for topping (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375*F.
2. In small frying pan, sauté onions with small amount of olive oil until softened.
3. In large bowl, mix shredded chicken with 2/3 cup of salsa verde, 1.5 cups cheese, scant 1/4 cup cilantro, sautéed onions, and salt and pepper to taste. I actually forgot to add in the cilantro…no biggie, just sprinkled more on top!
4. Lightly spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Spoon in one cup of salsa verde and spread out evenly on bottom of 9×13 pan.
5. (I used Tortilla Land tortillas, so while I was doing all of above steps I was also cooking my tortillas.) If you’re using already cooked tortillas, wrap them in two paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds so that they are soft and easier to work with.
6. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture into a tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until or you are out of filling. Drizzle enchiladas with remaining (~1/3 cup) salsa verde and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
7. Spray a large sheet of foil with cooking spray and use that to cover the baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for five more minutes.
8. Sprinkle with cilantro, let stand for a few minutes and serve, topped with sour cream if desired.

Verdict: Delicious. The salsa verde made it spicy, by not too spicy. (I’m a bit of a wimp in that department.) We’ll definitely be having these again.
Husband’s take: He liked these too! No complaints voiced!
Changes I would make: None. I was tempted to throw spinach into the filling. I have a problem with adding spinach to everything I make. Might do it next time for some extra veggies.
Difficulty: Easy easy!

Check out all the other great recipes from the Secret Recipe Club this month!

47 Responses to “Chicken Enchiladas Verde”

1. Trisha — September 19, 2011 at 8:34 am

Isn’t is just the greatest feeling when a dish turns out just the way you like it? The enchiladas look yummy!

2. Kitchen Belleicious — September 19, 2011 at 9:12 am

Wow, these look fantastic. My family loves enchiladas- of all kinds but green chile or verde is our favorite! Great job on SRC

3. Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — September 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

I always have trouble photographing Mexican food too (Even with natural light) – I think the tastier it is the harder it is to photo ;) Anyway, we love Mexican and make at least one dish a week.Tacos, Fajitas, Enchiladas. These are going to be worked into our rotation. Thanks for sharing :)

4. Kristen — September 19, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love seeing a green sauce in enchiladas. Those sounds delicious.

5. Ericka — September 19, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oh wow these look amazing! I was kind of looking for a different enchilada recipe than I normally make (I love them!). I’ve totally got to check out the Secret Recipe Club too — never heard of it till now!

6. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale — September 19, 2011 at 9:56 am

I looove chicken enchiladas verde! Will you send some of that monsooning down here, please? :-)

Happy Monday!

7. Sanjeeta kk — September 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

You gave me an idea to make my veggie version soon!

8. danielle — September 19, 2011 at 10:12 am

I havent made enchiladas in a while – I may need to give this one a try.

9. Kristine — September 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

I’m so glad you liked these enchiladas. You’ve reminded me that I need to make them again soon. :)

10. Jennifer @ Jane Deere — September 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

Stopping by from group B. So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Great Post! I love chicken enchiladas verde! Well, truth be told…anything Mexican! I hear ya on the natural light…but I’ve had trouble shooting anything that looks like a casserole…maybe it’s my composition. Anyway, yours looks great and made me really hungry!

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to drop by my blog and check out my SRC recipe this month: Avocado Omelet

11. Kristi @ Veggie Converter — September 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

These look simply delicious. Thanks for sharing.

12. Mal @ The Chic Geek — September 19, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love enchiladas verde, the salsa is so delicious! This recipe looks great

13. Double Dipped Life — September 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Since I could eat Mexican for every meal, these look divine! I love verde, and will have to put this recipe on my rotation! Thanks!

14. blackbookkitchendiaries — September 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

wow! this looks absolutely delicious!! thank you for sharing this.

15. Sheryl — September 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Looks Delicious!!! GREAT SCR CHOICE!

16. Jenny @ Savour the Senses — September 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Love chicken enchiladas, but have never had them with chili verde! Might need to try this! Happy SRC reveal day, check out my post at http://savourthesensesblog.com/plum-crunch-my-src-post/ =)

17. Miz Helen — September 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm

This looks like a great recipe. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC. Hope you are having a great day and thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

18. Lisa @ The Gonzo Gourmet — September 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love that you kept adding more veggies, and the spinach idea is a great one – I always have spinach on hand. Great SRC pick!

19. Dan — September 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm

They do look great. I prefer flour tortillas myself. I think I might attempt this recipe sometime soon.

20. Alli — September 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love enchiladas and these look great. I don’t have a recipe with green sauce. I love how you rank the recipes at the end of your posts. So helpful!

21. Arlene — September 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I don’t use salsa verde enough. I’m going to remedy that by trying these enchiladas. I like the changes you made, by the way.

22. Angela — September 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I hear you about the natural light. It has been gray, gray, grey except today when I don’t need to take a pic of anything. LOL! Those look great. I am loving SRC and all the great blog to discover.

23. Ma What's For Dinner — September 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Can I tell you how much I love the title of your blog. Awesome! I love this dish. Looks easy and delicious. After moving from Los Angeles to the east coast a year ago I crave good mexican…uh, because they have none here! :) I might throw some spinach in there too…good idea.

Just doing a little Secret Recipe Club surfing. So glad it brought me to your great little piece of cyber space!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What’s For Dinner

24. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — September 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oh please! I need this! Looks amazing I want to gobble up a whole plate! Pinning it!

25. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos — September 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

YUM! I love enchiladas, but my fam really isn’t on board with me. These sound fabulous! Great SRC post!

26. Cassie @ Bake Your Day — September 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

You are one busy girl! I love recipes like this for when things are crazy. My husband loves leftovers from this kind of meal, bookmarking this one!

27. Emily | Nomnivorous — September 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I am a red sauce, beefy cheesy enchilada kind of girl. But these? You might have changed my mind! I’ll have to give these verdes a try. :)

28. Andrea {From the Bookshelf} — September 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm

YUMMMY! Great pick!

29. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — September 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm

What is with all this rain! Despite the non-natural light, these look delicious and I want to eat one right up!

30. Lisa~~ — September 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Looks delicious and I love when you can use up ingredients that you have on hand.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my group “A” SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

31. Heather @ Join Us, Pull up a Chair — September 19, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Oh they look delicious! They’re going on my “to make” list!

32. ButterYum — September 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Serious Yumolicious! I’m really hungry after seeing your wonderful photos.

This is my first time joining the SRC. I hope you’ll stop by and visit.

ButterYum

33. Julie — September 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm

These look so delicious. I love all of the flavors.

34. Andi Winslow — September 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Wonderful great photo’s andi

35. Bree — September 19, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Secret recipe club sounds like so much fun. These look like the turned out great too!

36. patsy — September 19, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I love enchiladas and am always looking for new flavors to add in… will definitely be trying this one! Great SRC post!

37. amy — September 20, 2011 at 9:07 am

Yum! Looks great — I’m loving SRC, so many new recipes to try!

38. Desi — September 20, 2011 at 9:38 am

Looks like a great Mexican meal. I love enchiladas! Can’t go wrong with them, ever! And even minus a little natural light, your photos look gorg! :)

Check out my SRC post if you like!

39. Nicole @ The Daily Dish — September 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love that blog, you got a great one this month. And those enchiladas look soooo good. I’m not a huge fan of making Mexican at home besides standard tacos and Tex Mex Fajita’s but this one is definitely going to have to be tried!
    Great pick for this month’s SRC!

40. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING — September 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I love enchiladas, my family not so much! Maybe I can make some for ME!!! I pinned your recipe on Pinterest. YUMMMMMMMY!

Thanks for being part of Group B of the SRC with me! If you haven’t got a chance yet, check out my Pioneer Woman Chicken Pot Pie.

41. Melanie — September 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who is tempted to throw spinach into everything! I would have done the same thing with the onions for my hubs, too. It looks like this is a definite must-try!

42. Olga @ MangoTomato — September 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm

this is one of my most favorite dishes. love that you can use chicken, beef, pork or just beans and whichever salsa you want…need to make this soon!

43. Susan with Permanent Posies — September 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Stopping by from SRC. Your recipe looks delicious!

44. feast on the cheap — September 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

I usually like to eat dinner around 7, so I’ll expect these on my table then. YUM.

45. Maris (In Good Taste) — September 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Saving this to make for the bf! love Mexican food!

46. Angie @ Bigbearswife — September 23, 2011 at 11:10 am

saving this right away!! I will be making this soon! it looks soo soo soo good!

47. Marla {family fresh cooking} — September 28, 2011 at 11:33 am

Amazing how many b’day parties we throw for our kids! Love the enchiladas & always fun being in the SRC with you :)