Lentil Salad with Grapes and Feta

by Rachel Gurk on September 15, 2011 · 19 comments

in Salads, Vegetarian

This isn’t an Emeril recipe, but since I can’t provide you with all of his recipes, I wanted to give you a recipe. Plus this is a great warm weather recipe, and (sniff sniff) warm weather won’t be around much longer.

If I was a vegetarian, I would eat this every day. I might still eat it every day. It is so tasty! Perfect meal or side dish. Really, you’ve gotta try this one. I don’t really have too much else to say about it.

Aren’t those lentils pretty? I want to decorate my house with them. You want to go with French or brown lentils for this recipe because they will hold their shape when cooked better than other types of lentils.

Lentil Salad with Grapes and Feta
adapted from Everyday Food Magazine

2.5 cups water
3/4 cup French Lentils
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1.5 tsp honey
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
1.5 cups seedless red grapes, halved
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
~1/2 cup feta cheese (I used reduced fat), crumbled or chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring 2.5 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add lentils, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and thyme. Whisk in olive oil.
3. In large bowl, mix together lentils, toasted walnuts, grapes, celery, feta and dressing.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! This keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days.

Verdict: Loved this! The dressing was light so all the flavors came through really well. Make sure you toast your walnuts, it makes all the difference in the world!
Husband’s take: Much to my surprise, he really liked this! I didn’t think it would be his cup of tea. He liked it and appreciated the fact that the lentils are high in protein.
Changes I would make: None. Feel free to use fresh thyme if you have it, I just didn’t have any. If you use fresh, add a little extra in.
Difficulty: Very easy!

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Nelly Rodriguez September 15, 2011 at 8:35 am

Looks gorgeous, but I am not a fan of whole lentils; prefer then in soups and other. But that doesn’t mean this is less gorgeous!

2 Rachel September 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

Nelly-this would probably be good with barley, quinoa, or even couscous instead of lentils.

3 Tanya - Three Square Meals September 15, 2011 at 8:38 am

This is right up my alley. What could be more delicious (and healthy) than lentils, grapes and feta! Thanks.

4 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray September 15, 2011 at 8:46 am

Oh, yum yum. I fell in love with lentils when I lived in Spain and my “madre” gave me lentil soup at least once a week. I’ve never had them in a salad, though! This looks really easy and refreshing!

5 Brooke @ Veggie Table September 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

Veggie Table’s take: DELICIOUS!!! It’s such a yummy looking salad and I love that it has a simple ingredient list! Adding this to my “must make immediately” list!!! Thanks for sharing!

6 Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama September 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

Beautiful pictures! Looks very autumn-like. I love lentils and will definitely be trying this!

7 Katherine Martinelli September 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

Yum, I love lentils and am so happy to have another great use for them! This salad looks perfect – love the salty-sweet element that the grapes and feta bring.

8 Sandi G September 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Great colors, good combo of protein, carb & fat. Nice post :)

9 brandi@BranAppetit September 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

this sounds so good! i love grapes + feta together.

10 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! September 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm

What a pretty salad! I like your comment about using quinoa. That sounds like something I’d like.

11 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} September 16, 2011 at 12:40 am

Beautiful salad, Rachel! Recipe or not, we still love you!

12 natalie (the sweets life) September 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I saw this in Everyday Food and wanted to make it–I am loving lentils lately! Glad to hear it was good, I’ll have to make soon!

13 Nutmeg Nanny September 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This salad look great! I love the addition of sweet grapes. I think Artie might have a hard time eating it though. He would probably be searching for the meat…haha.

14 Kristyn Moneyhun October 10, 2011 at 5:51 am

Admiring the dedication you put into your website and detailed information you offer. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

15 Lori Lynn May 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

What a refreshing combination of ingredients.
Your new blog style looks quite lovely!
LL

16 Rachel May 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Thank you so much!

17 Alvinia August 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Do you have the nutritional values for this recipe?

18 Rachel August 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm

No, I’m sorry–I do not calculate nutritional values for my recipes. There are lots of websites that could probably calculate it for you if you type in the recipe.

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 1 trackback }