Turkey Sloppy Joes

I very often substitute ground turkey for ground beef. But don’t get me wrong, as I mentioned before, I have no beef with beef. Love a thick juicy steak! I just try to cut down on fat and calories whenever possible. I have a crazy dream of losing 20lbs. We’ll see about that. Hopefully it will happen before I get pregnant again, but that is very doubtful! Anyways, this recipe would definitely fit into the “go-to” category in my house. I make this one a lot. It’s easy, and I almost always have all the ingredients available. On weeks when I am slacking on my meal planning (this happens often), you’ll find me picking up a package of ground turkey at the store. It usually ends up in pasta sauce, these sloppy joes, or tacos.

I like to make these heavy on the vegetable side, but if that isn’t your cup of tea, the original recipe calls for only 1/4 cup of green peppers and 1/4 cup of onions. I put in over a cup of mixed bell peppers, and a heaping half cup of onions. Sometimes I add diced tomatoes as well.

The sauce is pretty basic, easy to make with ingredients that you have on hand. If you like a little spice, throw in some red pepper flakes or cayenne. I was tempted this time, but refrained for hubby’s sake. But the sauce beats Manwich by a long shot!

Turkey Sloppy Joes
Generously adapted from AllRecipes.com

1 pound ground turkey
heaping 1/2 cup of chopped yellow onion
heaping 1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
heaping 1/2 cup of chopped red pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1.5 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar if it is all you have)
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground turkey, onion, and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Drain off any liquids that accumulate.
2. Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, and salt and pepper. Mix throughly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. I have been known to not let it simmer that long. If you’re hungry, go ahead and eat it sooner, it will still be good. This is the type of thing that only gets better the longer it hangs out in the pan.

Verdict: I love this sandwich. I make these often, as I mentioned earlier. The sloppier, the better! This meal often includes the use of a fork and knife. Or just plenty of napkins!
Husband’s take: He also loves sloppy joe nights! He likes to serenade me with this.
Changes I would make: None!
Difficulty: Easy, really easy!

21 Responses to “Turkey Sloppy Joes”

1. Nelly Rodriguez — August 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Yum, this looks delicious!

2. Mal @ The Chic Geek — August 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

I can’t remember the last time I had a sloppy joe, this recipe makes me crave one!

3. Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — August 1, 2011 at 9:57 am

Totally going to borrow this recipe! Sounds like a great quick and easy meal! And I love all of the veggies!

4. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — August 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

These look really tasty! And definitely an easy meal for those of us easing ourselves into the world of the savory. :) Thanks!

5. mariscallahan@gmail.com — August 1, 2011 at 12:03 pm

This looks really delicious! Wish I could dig right in now!

6. Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I haven’t had sloppy joes in so long, these look so good!

7. Dave at eRecipeCards — August 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm

WOW… great photos. Always difficult to get sloppy joes to look good

Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com

It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!

Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

Dave
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

8. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Love sloppy joes! It is something everyone in the family likes, which is always a keeper. And I love to use ground turkey in them – great recipe!

9. Lisa~~ — August 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Sloppy Joe’s are a blast from my past. Growing up I loved them but haven’t had them in years. I’ll have to give your recipe a try.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

10. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Looks really good! I also like that salad sitting by on the plate. :)

11. Kelly — August 2, 2011 at 7:04 am

Mmm these look delicious!! :)

12. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — August 3, 2011 at 1:07 am

Looks great Rachel! The picture at the end is fantastic…plus, I am now craving avocado!

13. Vicki Bensinger — August 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm

You have no idea how much I love sloppy joes. Ever since I was a kid in elementary school. In fact I loved the schools sloppy joes so much and had tried for years to come up with a recipe that was close to the one I remembered that they had. I finally found one and yours actually sounds similar only a bit healthier with the turkey meat. I too substitute turkey meat when I can but have never wanted to with sloppy joes. I may have to try your version now.
    Here’s my version if you’d like to check it out:

Thanks for your post, I’m glad I found it.

14. Chef Tom — August 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love sloppy joe! (and that means…NOT from a can..lol) I’ve been trying to eat healthier…so turkey is a good alternative. Can’t wait to give this a try.

15. Ley Willis — August 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

IT WAS DELICIOUS! I added some red pepper flakes AND cayenne. I just wish it was a bit saucier. But the amount given covered all of the turkey and veggies (i thought it wouldn’t be enough for a split second). I will definitely be making these again.

• Rachel — August 16th, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

Glad you liked it, Ley. I think next time I make it I’ll add a little more spice too. Thanks for coming back and letting me know that it turned out for you! Totally makes my day!

16. Lauren — October 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Not bad rachel! I added a little Worcestershire sauce and left the drippings from the veggies. A nice quick, healthy and easy meal.

• Rachel — October 4th, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Glad to hear it! Thanks for coming back to share :)

17. Sarah — January 20, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Made this for my husband and he just loved it! Made it in the crockpot so that it would make our house smell good all day and then I wouldn’t have to worry about dinner at night. Great recipe!!

• Rachel Gurk — January 20th, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

Great idea to put it in the crockpot!

1. Pingback: Secrets Revealed - Parenting Tips and Tricks - Rachel Cooks