M&M Cookies

When I saw this recipe on How Sweet It Is, I knew I was going to make these cookies. If you haven’t been to Jessica’s site, you must go now. Seriously. Fabulous food, creative food combinations, great writing, and amazing photography. You’ll laugh, you’ll drool, and you’ll head into the kitchen and start cooking. We were going to Northern Michigan for a family reunion, and I wanted to bring cookies that would be a hit with everyone. Big, small, young, old, picky, adventurous. I loved how they were traditional, but the recipe was different from my normal chocolate chip cookie base. There was a cookie contest at the family reunion, and these won in the “best traditional” category. There were four types of cookies and four categories of winners. So…this incredibly competitive girl didn’t get the satisfaction of winning winning, but it was still lots of fun.

The only change I made to the recipe was that I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar because it was all I had. Which is why mine appear slightly darker in color than her cookies. So head on over to Jessica’s site and check out these cookies, and spend a moment browsing all the other goodies!

Verdict: So yummy! For some reason my dough was softer and was difficult to tear apart cleanly and stack. It just sort of got smushed. I threw it in the fridge for a half hour to an hour and that helped a little, but it still seemed softer than Jessica’s judging from her pictures. Reading over the comments on her post now tells me the culprit might have been butter that was still slightly warm. So make sure you let your butter cool sufficiently. The cookies still tasted amazing though! Wish I had one right now…
Husband’s take: Being a lover of all things traditional, these right a hit with him. I’m not sure if they beat his beloved chocolate chip cookies, but I’m sure he would eat these on a daily basis given the opportunity.
Changes I would make: None.
Difficulty:Easy!

Again, click here for the recipe. You won’t regret it!

9 Responses to “M&M Cookies”

1. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — July 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Yes I fell in love with these too! :) Mmmm

2. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — July 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Yay, I loved this post on Jessica’s blog, too! Yours look scrumptious as well–I am a sucker for cookies that have candy in them. :)

3. Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I already had this recipe in my pile to try, but now you are making me crave them all over again! Fun pics.

4. Maris(In Good Taste) — July 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I think I actually prefer the dark brown sugar. Great job!

5. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I made these too and had the problem with my dough being too sticky. I didn’t let the butter cool…me being an impatient baker! But they were still good and I actually turned them into cookie bars instead. :) Love your pictures, your photography skills are lovely!

6. Kelly — July 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Yummy these cookies look delicious!! :)

7. jess☆ @ Multicultural Melbourne — July 21, 2011 at 7:44 pm

You really just can’t go wrong with M&M cookies… they’re so easy, but always soooo popular! And I can’t say I’ve ever had a bad one!

8. brandi — July 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’ve been thinking about these cookies too! so fun with the m&ms

9. Becki Beachy — July 31, 2011 at 9:18 am

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance. I must say you have done a awesome job with this. In addition, the blog loads super fast for me on Opera. Superb Blog!