Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Rachel Gurk on June 6, 2011 · 31 comments

in Desserts

I know there are a million chocolate chip cookies in cookbooks and on websites. I know there are a thousand chocolate chip cookies on blogs. I know there are hundreds of good chocolate chip cookies on blogs and in books. So why should you make these? Well, you don’t have to, but they are tried and true. People like them. I’d like to say it is an original recipe, but I got it from my mom. I’d like to say it is her original recipe, but it probably isn’t. In fact, it could very well be off the back of a bag of chocolate chips. If you want to claim it, feel free.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (you can use half whole wheat if you want)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp water
2 large eggs
12 oz. chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 365*F.
2. Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Combine butter, shortening, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and water. Beat until creamy.
4. Add in eggs and mix until well combined. Add flour mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet (I do 12 per sheet).
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (10 for softer cookies, 12 for crispier cookies.)

**Disclaimer: I mix the wet ingredients and eggs first and then just put in the dry ingredients on top, gently mix them together before stirring them into the wet ingredients. I do this because I don’t like to get two bowls dirty. I do this because I’m lazy. I do this because the cookies turn out the exact same way. Feel free to make your own decision. Oh! You can also throw in a cup of chopped nuts if you’re feeling crazy. Walnuts work well.**

Verdict: These are tasty! Crispy around the edges, soft and chewy in the middle.
Husband’s take: Hands down his favorite cookie.
Changes I would make: None. I almost always make a double batch of these and freeze at least half of the dough. Then I can bake a couple of cookies off when we’re craving them. Nothing beats a fresh chocolate chip cookie. In fact, I might go do that right now. It is also nice if you need a dessert in a pinch. If you’re feeling type A, you can form the dough into balls, freeze on a cookie sheet until firm, and then throw them in a freezer container or bag. I just freeze one giagantic lump (wrap it in wax paper, then put it in a freezer bag) and saw off a piece with a knife to bake (or eat raw) whenever I feel like it. It’s how we roll in this house. At least with cookie dough. For most other things, I’m totally type A.
Difficulty: Easy!

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies June 6, 2011 at 7:40 am

Those cookies sound wonderfully good. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I’d love it if you’d come by and link your cookies up.

2 Emily June 6, 2011 at 9:46 am

Stopping by from the blog hop at basilmomma. Chocolate Chip cookies are my favorite! Looking forward to trying a new recipe.

Best,
Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

3 Miss Anthropist's Kitchen June 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm

These look like some great old fashioned chocolate chip cookies! Thanks for sharing :)

4 Lisa June 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm

You just reminded me that I haven’t made cookies in TOO LONG!!

5 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! June 7, 2011 at 12:43 am

Love it. Nothing beats a warm chocolate chip cookie. Mmmhmm. I do the same also (about not wanting to dirty two bowls) and I freeze dough to break off when I want a warm cookie.

6 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl June 7, 2011 at 2:01 am

I could totally go for some of these right now! They look wonderful!

7 Teauna June 7, 2011 at 4:23 am

This is crazy! I just made chocolate chip cookies for my husband to take to work and they looked just like these ones! But the recipe is not even close to the same! Hmmmm…. I’m really going to have to try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

Happy Cooking!
Teauna

8 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I will take a classic chocolate chip cookie any day, these look fabulous!

9 Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Theres a reason they are a classic – chocolate chip cookies (and a cool glass of milk) cannot be beat! These look delish :).

10 Brooke @ Veggie Table June 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Those. cookies. look. delicious. I love some soft and chewy choco-chip cookies!!!!!! Must try this recipe soon!

11 Sherri@FoodBasics101 June 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hello Rachel! I found you through Basilmomma’s Blog Hop!

I’m a purist when it comes to chocolate chip cookies…the ole standby classic is always the best IMO. Have a great day! Sherri

12 Mom June 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I believe this recipe is the original Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’ve been using for years! It’s the best!

13 blackbookkitchendiaries June 8, 2011 at 9:14 am

this looks so lovely!! thank you for sharing this and have a great day.

14 Erica June 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Stopping by from basilmomma! :o) These look divine. I love me a good chocolate chip recipe! Yum!

15 Dana June 9, 2011 at 1:58 am

There are never enough chocolate chip cookie recipes!!!

PS. LOVE the new site!

16 Rachel June 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Thanks! Glad you found me again!

17 Sidney June 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Mission accepted!

18 Erica June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I am ALWAYS looking for new cookie recipes to try! I get bored sticking with the same old. These look like they turned out perfect. nom nom

19 thehealthyapron June 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmm nothing beats a good old choc. chip cookie!

20 Susan June 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I swear that changing up the all butter measure in a chocolate chip cookie recipe to half butter and half margarine(or in your case, shortening) makes ALL the difference in the world … oh, and I add 2 tsp. of vanilla and ditch the water… excellent cookies! Love the rise and ‘cookie-ness of yours No flat chippers for me! Kudos!

21 Olga @ mangotomato June 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

those look great! I haven’t made chocolate chip cookies from scratch in ages. When I do, I usually just follow the recipe on the chocolate chip bag.

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I make a similar recipe that is delicious but I just used 1/2c butter and no shortening.

23 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm

1/2LB i mean

24 Heart healthy diet June 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for the informative article, it was a good read and I hope its ok that I share this with some facebook friends. Thanks.

25 Jamie | My Baking Addiction June 9, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I am always on the lookout for another amazing chocolate chip cookie! These sounds fantastic.

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 6 trackbacks }